Temperature gauge not reading - Page 2 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I'm hesitant to drive the car any more than I have to (to pull the codes)...I've been running around on the motorcycle picking up parts all day. The light's been on for a while because of an O2 sensor issue...replaced the sensors and the light still came back on, I'm guessing I need to replace the cat too...again. Anyway, I do need to pull the codes again to make sure that other codes didn't get triggered, but I don't want to really drive it until I get this thing sorted. I know that sorta cripples me, but there I am. lol

I'm going to try changing the coolant temp sensor, since it's right on the thermostat housing but I actually don't have to remove anything to get at it. lol I need to bleed the system, but the coolant level in the rad and reservoir were normal. I'm thinking that if the temp sensor was working properly, whether the thermostat was stuck open or closed the temp gauge would read SOMETHING in city driving, even if it was abnormally low or high. This thing doesn't budge from where it is when you first start the car. If that doesn't work, I'll go about swapping the thermostat...crossing my fingers. lol
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member

Did you replace the cat or the whole downpipe?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyss02 View Post
Did you replace the cat or the whole downpipe?
Just the cat, I would assume. I had a shop do it. I don't have access to level ground and jack stands. lol
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Just to update the thread, the problem I was having was the ECT sensor. Was a very quick fix, and the part was $14 at Advance Auto. I'm just glad I didn't have to pull off the throttlebody. lol
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM

Hey dragknt is that exactly what that part is called? I have replaced the coolant temp sensor, the thermostat, and checked all the levels to no avail. My 2000 Monte Carlo still does the same thing gauge not working and fans on all the time. Where is that located?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Sorry i figured out that what i replace was the ECT sensor sorry.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragknt View Post
I'm just glad I didn't have to pull off the throttlebody. lol
You do know that changing a thermostat on a 3400 shouldn't take more than 45 minutes, right?

First, remove anything blocking access to the thermostat (diagonal brace, factory air filter/intake assembly, upper rad hose, etc.). You shouldn't have to remove the throttle body! Use a long crescent wrench to loosen both thermostat housing bolts. Remove the front bolt completely and only loosen the rear bolt enough to lift the thermostat housing up and away from the engine. Pull it towards the front of the vehicle, and it should slide off. (The rear mounting hole is "slotted" specifically for this purpose). Due to the thermostat being sideways, you may need to use a flat-head screwdriver to hold it in place so it doesn't drop and bind up against the housing as you attempt to remove it. That's the hardest part. Once it's off, getting the new one in is easy. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 PM
1 Year Member

i have a 2006 monte carlo LT
I noticed today that my temp gauge is not working it was working before.
The temp gauge would come up about half way I would have heat.
Tonight after work I was driving home I got the message ENGINE HOT A/C OFF
I had heat in the car but the temp gauge was at the bottom.
I would like to know why I got the message tonight but I still had heat
I dont want to have my car overheat I need it to get to work