Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): swap steering column??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 02:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Question swap steering column??

Hi folks,
Some background... twice last fall, with my '01 MC SS my headlights went out while I was driving -- I think it was when I went from low beams to high beams. I put it up for the winter and drove the VW CFH (Car From Hell) all winter, but have been driving the '01 MC SS (black car) since spring. The lights haven't gone out again, but now that it's getting dark earlier, I am starting to worry about it.

Reading different forums, it seems like it could be anything -- headlight module, faulty ground, bad wires (I have replaced a lot of wires on this car already, so that wouldn't surprise me), bad multi-function switch, bad multi-function connector pins... my body guy want to pull the steering column from my '04 MC SS (red car, now parts car) and use that one, but red car had 150K and black car has only 83K. Any thoughts on this?

Old 08-21-2022, 09:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pulling the steering column for this problem will fruit nothing. The wiring for your headlights is not part of the column and all electronics bolt up to the column. My guess is that it is a fault in the multi-function switch. Granted, there are other diagnostics to do, but you have to be able to re-produce the problem to run through them. Multi-function switch failures are common in a lot of GM vehicles (Monte included). So if you have a parts car that did not have this problem, swap the multi-function switch and see if that does the trick. I have seen a video that the guy removed it without removing the steering wheel. I tried and first time the tool slipped off the torx screws, I pulled the wheel. The entire job is fairly easy (hardest part is pulling the air bag and that is not that hard, but I say this as a guy who has done that a few times).

Old 08-26-2022, 11:54 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Pulling the steering column for this problem will fruit nothing. The wiring for your headlights is not part of the column and all electronics bolt up to the column. My guess is that it is a fault in the multi-function switch. Granted, there are other diagnostics to do, but you have to be able to re-produce the problem to run through them. Multi-function switch failures are common in a lot of GM vehicles (Monte included). So if you have a parts car that did not have this problem, swap the multi-function switch and see if that does the trick. I have seen a video that the guy removed it without removing the steering wheel. I tried and first time the tool slipped off the torx screws, I pulled the wheel. The entire job is fairly easy (hardest part is pulling the air bag and that is not that hard, but I say this as a guy who has done that a few times).
Thanks, that sounds reasonable to me.