Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): sudden front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Default sudden front end shake

2005 Monte Carlo Ls
3.4L 6cyl.

yesterday out of the blue my left front end began to shake and pull to the left. I didn't hit any potholes or curbs. by the time I got home the shaking was so bad I expected to see my tire flat on the rim, but it was fine.
today I had my tire pulled and everything was inspected. The tie rods, bearings, rotors, brakes, steering arms, etc are all new.
there are no obvious signs of a broken belt in the tire. we put the tire on the back and the shaking is considerably less, but still there.
Any ideas what to check next or what may be causing this?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default did you have the wheels off recently?

If you have taken the wheels off recently and you over torqued the lugs when putting them back on this will cause the brake rotor to warp and the incident you are describing is similar to that. Or if you drive down the Mountain and ride the brakes. They will heat up the rotors and warp them. Also if you throw a tire weight that will really make it go nuts,

Not long ago I was on about 50 miles of winding roads and doing the speed limit. I passed a parked car along the way fancy rust colored sports type (ricer) little chic driving it. Pretty soon she is right on my back side I could see the color of her eyes. So I am thinking lets see what cha got. The next curve said 45 miles per hour, I kicked it up to 65 into the curve, I am driving a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS, I love that thing, it only had 1K on it, before long I couldn't see that little sports (ricer) Oh and I never used the Brakes.
Hope you figure it out.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 AM

No, haven't had the wheels off recently. But this morning my husband was driving it to work and the tire on the front passenger side blew. Its the opposite side to where the shaking is felt.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If there was a reduction in vibration when you put the tire on the back the problem is in the wheel/tire. As you mentioned, a belt in the tire may have separated, or a weight may have come off the wheel throwing it out if balance.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New tires please

Originally Posted by Shayrae
No, haven't had the wheels off recently. But this morning my husband was driving it to work and the tire on the front passenger side blew. Its the opposite side to where the shaking is felt.
If you had on that just blew then its time to get 4 new ones go where you want but I have been able to purchase from Sam Club over the years they do a free balance and rotation around 5K or so and they have a full road hazard warranty make sure you get that where ever you go. It is to late to think about new tires for the car when you are in a Cart Wheel roll on the High way I have seen it.