Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

PLEASE HELP!! 1987 monte LS wont start all of a sudden!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!! 1987 monte LS wont start all of a sudden!!!

i have a 1987 monte LS a/o...118,000 original miles.. its a 4.3 v6. it wont start all of a sudden...i havent had any previous problems. i started it with the remote start this morning to warm it up and it fired right up. after i turned it off then went down later to start it with the key....it just turns over. has gas....its fuel injected and they work fine...i replaced the coil pack and control mod....good spark....still no go. wat to do (i have three kids and a wife with this being our only vehicle we are n a bind...PLEASE HELP)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

Sorry to read about your problem(s)...It's difficult to diagnose
your problem from just your posted words.

What modification have been done to your Monte ?
I'd check all of your connections to make sure they are tight.

You posted you have a remote start ? Did you add it, or did someone else ? Check all it's connections.

Hopefully one of our expert Tech Member's will read your thread & be able to assist...Good Luck 4-Sure...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM

If it has gas (at the injectors, not just in the tank) and has spark, it should be doing something. Have you actually checked for both fuel & spark at one or more cylinders?

Could it have something to do with your remote starter? I'm not very familiar with 4th Gen Monte's. Newer Monte's like my 6th Gen have issues with the security system suddenly preventing starting. Remote starters and their security bypass switch tie into the security system and could potentially cause problems if they malfunction.

Hopefully someone smarter than me on older Monte's will chime in.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

it has no mods....all original......i added the remote start after i bought it. i dont think thats it cuz it turns over still. the remote start would keep it from turning over period.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky-88
If it has gas (at the injectors, not just in the tank) and has spark, it should be doing something. Have you actually checked for both fuel & spark at one or more cylinders?

Could it have something to do with your remote starter? I'm not very familiar with 4th Gen Monte's. Newer Monte's like my 6th Gen have issues with the security system suddenly preventing starting. Remote starters and their security bypass switch tie into the security system and could potentially cause problems if they malfunction.

Hopefully someone smarter than me on older Monte's will chime in.
has fuel and spark.....i checked multiple cylinders. i dont think its the alarm cuz it turns over still. the remote start would keep it from turning over period.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM

First, I'm not a auto tech, but I still try to work on cars : )
Below is a link that has some idea's to check.
Troubleshooting a Car That Won't Start - For Dummies

They created the above link for people like me, but it has some
basic information when a car won't start...
Check it out until one of our expert Tech member's reads your thread & can assist...Good Luck 4-Sure.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...?cid=embedlink
click above linke

Last edited by Space; 04-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 AM

yea thanks for that link but i know enough about things like that. its something more technical but i do appreciate your time and effort.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by nazztn8
has fuel and spark.....i checked multiple cylinders. i dont think its the alarm cuz it turns over still. the remote start would keep it from turning over period.
Hmmm... Did you happen to notice if the spark was bright blue (good) or a wimpy yellow (bad)? Even if spark is weak, I doubt this would prevent it from firing at all. Usually it would still run, just not very well.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions. If it's getting fuel and spark, I don't know why it won't fire. I assume it's getting air as well. Even if air was somehow restricted, it should still fire, just not run well.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky-88
Hmmm... Did you happen to notice if the spark was bright blue (good) or a wimpy yellow (bad)? Even if spark is weak, I doubt this would prevent it from firing at all. Usually it would still run, just not very well.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions. If it's getting fuel and spark, I don't know why it won't fire. I assume it's getting air as well. Even if air was somehow restricted, it should still fire, just not run well.
yes it was bright blue....i just replaced the control mod and coil pack. im stomped

Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Sorry 2 read that you have not been able to resolve your problem.

Please check back on your thread later, and hopefully one of our expert tech member's will read your thread & be able to assist.

If it's getting fuel & spark it should fire ? ? (A short or clog in fuel line ) Is the fuel pump OK ?

We wish your Good Luck 4-Sure.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!! 1987 monte LS wont start all of a sudden!!!