Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stumpted and looking for some help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Default Stumpted and looking for some help.

Today i went to start the car, I turned the key and let go kinda quickly, it kinda started up and then shut off, so i figured with it being the first cold morning it just needed to be held a little longer. So i turned the key again, the car turned over for a second, then i saw smoke coming from the driver fuse panel so i turned off the key and popped the panel to see about a foot of the remote wire for my amp's all burned up and crispy. Instantly my head flashes "OH F***, what just happened. i rushed inside grabbed some wire cutters and disconnected the burnt up parts. At this point i already had to be at school so I'm rushing around, i quickly checked to make sure nothing else was hot or anything, called my father and then took my moms car to school. When school was over my dad said he checked out all of the fuses and such nothing was blown, headlights, interior lights, break lights, aux power, its all still there. But now when i turn the key nothing happens. So this leads me and him to think something with the ignition is messed up.

The car has both the factory key less entry that works fine still, locks, unlocks, arms the car. But there is also an aftermarket remote start/ key less entry on there also that never gets used. The original owner had it installed and left no information about it. The aftermarket one does not work at all, it used to work but now it does nothing, no locks or anything.

Right now we are trying to figure out what could have happened but, are coming out with nothing. Any Ideas would be great.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Does anyone have a clue on how to remove the ignition switch on our cars, I have a Haynes book but that is next to use cause, the switch is surrounded by plastic on all sides, I cannot see a way to get the switch out to disconnect the wires and such from the back of it.
Any clues would help immensely.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM

buy a light tester and try all the wires in the fuse box. jus cuz it didnt blow a fuse dosent mean it didnt kill a relay.
and whatwas your remote amp wire hooked up to behind the dash?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM

The remote wire was tapped to a fuse in the fuse panel. it was the only spot i could think to run a remote wire too.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM

go behind ur head unit and hook the wire up to the red wire(ignition) and if u blow ur remote wire all it will do is turn off ur headunit till u find the fuse