Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stumped by Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I took my car to work yesterday and it started right up and it started fine when I left work. I made the mistake of stopping by the grocery store on my way home and it wouldn't start when I tried leaving. This time I noticed that the check engine light was on and the message screen was alternating between battery and security.I also noticed that the radio would turn on around the second attempt to start even though it had been off before I went into the store. I read in one of the general tech posts the night before that the passlock system in these vehicles fails quite often. After several failed atempts to start the vehicle I tried the 10 minute trick and the car started right up. I've been assuming that the clicking noise that I was hearing was coming from the starter but it could be coming from another source. I haven't been able to get someone else to turn the ignition for me while I'm under the car.

Has anyone tried to dissable their passlock system by clipping the the yellow passlock wire that connects to the the ignition cylinder while the car is running. I was thinking of trying this and soldering in a switch. I found another forum that discusses the topic of disabling your passlock system in some detail. I've copied the link if any of you want to check it out. Im sure that we have this info somewhere, but this was the first search result I got from google.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ight=PK+bypass

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/dat...09/article.pdf

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Last night I remove the front portion of the dash to access the ignition cylinder. I had to also remove the metal security plate under the steering column to pull out the cylinder. The three passlock wires were located on the top of the cylinder and easy to identify. The hardest part was getting my car to turn on so I could snip the yellow wire while it was running. When I snipped the wire the security light came. I turned the car off and installed a switch in the yellow line incase I need to reactivate the passlock system. So far my car has been starting up with no issues. The only downside to snipping the passlock wire is that the security light remains on all the time now, but it beats shelling out the cash for a new ignition cylinder or bcm. I took some pictures of the wires I cut and the switch I installed. I guess if you remove the battery then the passlock will no longer be in its fail safe mode and you will need to turn the switch on, turn the car on, and then turn the switch off again while the car is running to put the passlock back into it's fail safe mode. I'll try to post those pictures later today. I hope that I this did the trick for good.