Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need A/C Help.....Stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Default Need A/C Help.....Stumped...

Ok well here's the deal, trying to get a/c working again on my 99 Monte Carlo (3.1l).

When I check the system pressure it shows that it is full (well with the cheap little pressure gauge that comes with the freon cans from the parts store) and it reads between 105 and 110), but the compressor clutch does not engage[:@]. So I jump 12 volts the compressor and it engages, so compressor and clutch are good I'm assuming. Even with manually engaging the clutch by jumping it, the pressure on the gauge still does not change. [&:]

I checked the HVAC fuse and its good, then I replaced the a/c relay and still nothing, so I figured it has to be the pressure switch...well just replaced it and still no go. [sm=icon_flaming.gif]

Even with clutch engaged though, it doesn't blow any cold air and the lines under the hood don't even get cold.[sm=shootshoot.gif]

I can't seem to figure this out, any help would be greatly appreciated[sm=helpout.gif]

Thanks [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Default RE: Need A/C Help.....Stumped...

Based on what u explained about the problem, the best case scenario could be that a filter and/or line in your A/C system could be clogged.

Worst case scenario, and I really hate to say this, is that it could be a bad compressor. I had a 93 Honda Civic that did the same thing to me, and when I replaced the compressor, the A/C worked great.

Before throwing any other parts at this car, get the A/C system checked and diagnosed before doing anything else.

Hope this helps!