Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stuck Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Default Stuck Sunroof

My girlfriend drives a 1999 MC and she's stuck in Lubbock right now when a siezed sunroof...open. I'm not there and can't get a real good idea of what's going on but she says that it's not making any noise or anything when she pushes the button. She says she put it in the "tilt" position and when she tried to put it back down it wouldn't budge. So she tried opening it more and moved a little bit and stuck. Now it will not move in either direction.

Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Stuck Sunroof

well not for her o try to do it on the side of the road. Is it raining there real hard? I know the hurricane is in that area also but dont know how bad the rain is Im not even in teh country there. But if it is somethign she can drive with tell ehr to get it home or find a place that ca fix it there,

check the fuse to see if it is blown

If it was home take it apart so you can see the motor make sure the connections are there and are in good shape.

if nothign is in the gearing of the roof or the motor. then more then likly the motor went out .

Pull it out set it on a bench and touch 12 volt power to it and see if it moves and acts normal. It might sqeek or make noise that you could not hear wen it was all togeather,

If it dont move it is shot. so find a new one and replace it.

If you use it allot and beig that you in a area with alot of sand and dust int eh air you might just ahve to clean it up real good and it will work agian for at least a short time,

I ahvent seen on first hand but if you can pull it appart you can get to the brushes on the motor and check to see if they are bad if so replace andclean up the amriture and reassembel in revers and check to see if it works, If so reinstall

Also a test you can try,
get tot eh switch leads check for the polarity acrossed them shoudl not have any when the switch is in the netural oposition. If it dose the armiture and brushes are shorting out and that woudl be the issue your dealling with.

one more thing,

IF YOU CAN GET TO IT.
someplace aroudn the motor is a screw head it is the gearign for the car might be a nut, if you can find it or what the motor moves to get it to open and shut youcan do it manually just dont stip this or it might effect how the motor will work on i later, or if you do replace that part also.

Goood Luck let us know what ahppens for ya