Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

sunroof leak. replace whole sunroof??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Default sunroof leak. replace whole sunroof??

I have an 04 Monte SS with a leaking sunroof. We have been investigating for a year now and finally gave up and took it to the stealership. They diagnosed the problem as the sunroof frame/motor, $2000 replacemnt. Headliner has never been wet, water only apears on floor out bottom of a-pillar both sides as well as the DIC...BUT THE HEADLINER HAS NEVER BEEN WET. Sunroof drains 100% clear, not the windshield. Stealership leak test claims "Sunroof frame/module is allowing water past drive cables into motor assembly and out motor housing and cable overrun pipes. Need to replace frame & motor". The sunroof still opens and closes just fine, so motor works. Does this seem accurate to you? Why would the whole frame & motor need to be replaced? anyone have this issue before & how did you fix it? Looking at part prices online & also wonderd why there was a revision, two different sunroofs for same car. Anyone have the issue, can it be glued somewhere rather than an entire replacment? Just seems like there has to be a more cost effective solution than replacing the entire thing.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is yours a sun roof or a Moon roof? (Not sure if theres a difference)

Mines a moonroof... I caught my leak early...
What I did notice....was the seal that goes around the actual glass of the moonroof was shrinking..thus causeing a leak....So, I used some black RTV glass sealing silicone...(black)

So, I very carefuly peeled back the spots that were shrinking and filled the space with the RTV silicone for glass...and was very sure to wipe it all cleanly...from the glass....It was kinda like siliconeing around the tub or your counter top useing your finger to make a clean and even seal.....
I also used some weights to push down on the seal til it cured (So, it wouldnt lift up again)

That cured my issue... also the drains on mine were also clear and unclogged...

Hope this helps...
Maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would try and take it to an independent shop that installs them and tell them what the dealership said and see if they have an alternative.

@David I did some research on this to settle an argument between 2 friends.
The answer in short.....
"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I would try and take it to an independent shop that installs them and tell them what the dealership said and see if they have an alternative.

@David I did some research on this to settle an argument between 2 friends.
The answer in short.....
"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.

Thanks Lou....
My definition....1 is tinted (MOON)...the other isnt! (SUNROOF)
Or is it the other way around LOL
Thanks for the clarification Lou!!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM

If you really do need to replace the whole sun roof then I would suggest getting a replacement from www.moradpartscompany.com/ and installing it yourself. Its fairly easy long as you have about a hour or two of free time. Just drop the headliner and there are four nuts holding in the sun roof.