Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Steering Problems and Weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Default Steering Problems and Weird Noise

Ok guys bare with me, I have this weird noise coming from the front left of my car, it sounds like wood creaking or something strectching(the noise started as a loud pop when i turn) and it only happens when I accelerate(slowly) from a stop, or when I am making a turn. My steering whell is slightly cocked to the right, so when I put it straight it the car drifts to the left and when I am on the highway and let go of the wheel it goes left as well. Im guessing the allignment is extremely off but I cant figure out the noise, its been to the dealer 3 times and they say nothing is wrong. Oh I forgot to mention I have a low tire pressure light as well, all my tires are brand new and filled to specification, maybe that has something to do with it. One more thing, when I im sitting still and cut the wheel or make a hard turn while moving, I get that high pitched whine that you would here had you lost power steering. I hope I explained myself well enough for you guys to comment.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Steering Problems and Weird Noise

I have this weird noise coming from the front left of my car, it sounds like wood creaking or something strectching(the noise started as a loud pop when i turn) and it only happens when I accelerate(slowly) from a stop, or when I am making a turn.
You've been inflicted with the PITA ISS issue. I had mine replaced around 30K and it's doing it again.

My steering whell is slightly ****ed to the right, so when I put it straight it the car drifts to the left and when I am on the highway and let go of the wheel it goes left as well. Im guessing the allignment is extremely off
My guess as well..

Oh I forgot to mention I have a low tire pressure light as well, all my tires are brand new and filled to specification, maybe that has something to do with it.
Were they ever low at one time or another? Our inflation monitor has to be reset manually, CLICK HERE

One more thing, when I im sitting still and cut the wheel or make a hard turn while moving, I get that high pitched whine that you would here had you lost power steering. I hope I explained myself well enough for you guys to comment.
I had this problem a long time ago too, I told my girlfriend at the time to get the hell out and it stopped.

Now on to the serious answer, have you checked you PS fluid? These things are notorious for fluid loss.