Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Start and stall problems 2002 MC SS video link inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Default Start and stall problems 2002 MC SS video link inside

The video shows an issue I began to have with my 2002 MC. Things to know about the car.
1. I have been driving regularly for 13 months since I bought it with about 232,000 miles, I don't have any history on it prior to purchasing it and I'v had no problems other then the power steering pump once.
2. The muffler or exhaust has always been loud, I just choose to not fix it never bothered me much, sometimes it's annoying...
3. There is a small oil and transmission leak nothing needing immediate attention.
4. Their was no trauma to the vehicle prior to this issue, It drove home normal and was parked for about 10 hours until got ready to go to school and the symptoms you see in the video began on the first start.
5. Things I have tried from a few thing I seen online is. Unplug MAF sensor and start. Checked the air filter it was really dirty so I'll replace that either way soon. I gave it gas as it was running and it seemed to keep it running during that time but the second I let up on the gas it died again and it was fighting to stay on during the time I did it. I Checked all the fluids and the they were all fine. Their were no leaks under the car. I tried to start it about 12 times over a span of 6 hours and a few times it would just start and die immediately. The time I started it in the video was probably the longest it ran. If you were wondering about the gauges and warning lights on the dash, Their was nothing out of the ordinary as far as how it been since I have owned it. Like the check engine have always been on and the gas gauge has never been accurate I use the trip meter. The is plenty 87 octane in the vehicle.
I think that's about all I have to report, so I am hoping the video I was able to capture can explain much better then I. I am a college student that is currently studying computer system engineering. Motor vehicles aren't in my field, so only know the basics.
Thanks in advance for looking and any help received. Video link below:

The video shows an issue I began to have with my 2002 MC. Things to know about the car.
1. I have been driving regularly for 13 months since I bought it with about 232,000 miles, I don't have any history on it prior to purchasing it and I'v had no problems other then the power steering pump once.
2. The muffler or exhaust has always been loud, I just choose to not fix it never bothered me much, sometimes it's annoying...
3. There is a small oil and transmission leak nothing needing immediate attention.
4. Their was no trauma to the vehicle prior to this issue, It drove home normal and was parked for about 10 hours until got ready to go to school and the symptoms you see in the video began on the first start.
5. Things I have tried from a few thing I seen online is. Unplug MAF sensor and start. Checked the air filter it was really dirty so I'll replace that either way soon. I gave it gas as it was running and it seemed to keep it running during that time but the second I let up on the gas it died again and it was fighting to stay on during the time I did it. I Checked all the fluids and the they were all fine. Their were no leaks under the car. I tried to start it about 12 times over a span of 6 hours and a few times it would just start and die immediately. The time I started it in the video was probably the longest it ran. If you were wondering about the gauges and warning lights on the dash, Their was nothing out of the ordinary as far as how it been since I have owned it. Like the check engine have always been on and the gas gauge has never been accurate I use the trip meter. The is plenty 87 octane in the vehicle.
I think that's about all I have to report, so I am hoping the video I was able to capture can explain much better then I. I am a college student that is currently studying computer system engineering. Motor vehicles aren't in my field, so only know the basics.
Thanks in advance for looking and any help received. Video link below:

Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Possible issue with the IAC valve on the car.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:10 PM

Is the IAC valve a job I can do myself if I run to autozone and buy the tools needed or should I find a mechanic to do it? I would have to find someone on craigslist most likely I don't have many resources.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes its something you can clean change yourself.
I see the cel is on (Check engine light)
Take it to your local auto parts (If you can drive it there)
and have it scanned for codes... (its free)
That should tell you whats going on...
I'm with mike on this one check clean the IAC...
iac_01.jpg

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-02-2015 at 08:58 AM.