Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sputter at start up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Sputter at start up...

alrighty unfortunately your issue can be caused by a multitude of problems (i mean many)...first off the lack of fuel and the excess of fuel can cause this problem...if at start up your fuel pump cannot get enough fuel to the cylinders the engine may sputter but once the pump has adequate pressure than the sputtering will go away, this could mean anything from a dirty fuel filter to a bad pump(most likely the filter in this case) with to much fuel u could have a leakin injector that is filling the cylinder with fuel and upon start up it has to empty the cylinder...spark/no spark could also be an issue, with this the spark plug wires could be getting condensation and when they first spark they have to burn up the condenstation between the wire and the spark plug before they can spark in the cylinder and burn the gas...the list really goes on, does this happen everytime or just when u leave the car sit overnite?

Old 11-14-2008, 12:58 PM

It's not every time and there's really no pattern to it that I can tell. It's sorta hard to cause I go a day or two without driving it.

I was thinking of replacing the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter anyway, soI think that's where I'll start and we'll see what happens after that.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 PM

i may have a simliar issue..but then again maybe completely different..i have 98 monte z34 with 175k and sometimes when i start it up after the engine is warm, it kind of shudders or shakes kinda rough for a minute and then it's gone. it's still there after shifting into D or R or N or P but not even a minute later its done and running "normal". However, i dont think my tach bounces..
is this the same or different problem?
thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 PM

allprorock -look for fouled plugs and look at the top to c if u can notice any burn marks on the plugs and look at the end of the wire to look for corrosion or burns

moneycarlo-so u have ur car running and then shut it off and start it again it runs rough for a minute? does it do it when you start the engine cold?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM

correct. If i go 5 miles or 50miles and turn it off for like 5 minutes and start it back up, most of the time it runs rough. I don't think i've ever noticed it when the engine was cold.