Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sputter on start - cold days

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
3 Year Member
Default Sputter on start - cold days

So this has started recently - probably coincidentally after the last time I changed the oil. My '03 SS with it's '04 L67 sputters when I put it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Not every time, but it's happened three or four times in the past couple of months. Sounds like it's going to stall, but it doesn't. I put it back into park for a minute or so, then it's ok. By the time I'm half a mile up the road it's fine. It's only happened on cold mornings. I was thinking fuel filter, but I'd expect that to be more consistent. With the cold air having something to do with it possibly, I thought maybe an O2 or MAF sensor. Those I'd expect to throw a code though, and I'm clear on codes - nothing there that I can see with my basic reader and no CEL. Wondering what else might be causing something like this?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM

I'd still clean the MAF. Codes don't have to set for a problem to exist. I've changed MAF's that never set codes but had little to no signal coming out of them.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The day my MAF failed it stalled when I was reversing into a parking space. Next time I started it up I had the MAF code and had to replace. So it could possibly be the MAF starting to go?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
3 Year Member

Well, maybe I'll give cleaning the MAF a shot after all. Forgot to mention I can let the car warm up for 10-20 minutes, and this can still happen when backing out. No problems while it's sitting there idling, only once a load is put on it - ie putting it in gear. I'm always head on into the driveway, so I'm always backing out. Probably has nothing to do with the issue, but worth mentioning. What may be worth mentioning though is I do run a K&N drop in. I'm by no means generous with the oil, but I've had mechanics tell me to run the filters without oil and clean them more often because of issues they have seen and blamed on filter oil. I haven't gone that far, but I really do use it sparingly. Filter is always completely dry before I oil it and reinstall it as well. I don't take any unnecessary risks there.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Just to weigh in a little, I have been through 2 MAF sensors on my 99' 3.8 and neither threw a code when they went bad. I don't run a K&N so I don't know firsthand but I have read about them gunking up MAF sensors due to that oil (i understand you use it sparingly, just saying). Some individuals clean their MAF sensor every time they change their air filter.

You do know just to get some type of non-residue electronics cleaner or something and not to try to use a Q-tip or something on that right?