General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

some questions from a new member!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Default some questions from a new member!!!

hey guys, i'm pretty new to getting into monte carlos, my habit was camaros, i recently got offered a 87ss for my camaro and i don't think i'm going to reject this one, i just have a few questions before i make any assumptions and shoot myself in the foot, it has no motor and needs some body work, but i already do have a motor for it, its a performance built 355 pushing about 350hp to the wheels, i know that the rear end in the car is a 10-bolt, but the guy has no idea if its a posi or not, i was wondering if anyone knows what the gear ratio in those cars were back then, i'm pretty sure its 3.73 posi, but i'm not sure, and do you think that that motor will be pushing to much to the wheels that i'm just going to have to replace it. also, he does have the tranny for it, but i wasn't able to get the numbers offof it tofind out what it is, i think its a turbo 200 but i was wondering what came stock in those cars for thatyear, and would you recommendkeeping it with my setup or upgrading to something like a turbo 350 or 400.any feedback appreciated.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Default RE: some questions from a new member!!!

[align=center]Hi `Kyle, & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family[/align][align=center]The 3:73 Gear is correct. I think if the unit hasn't been [/align][align=center]abused, and the gears look good ?, it should handle the power.[/align][align=center]If you are going 1/4 mile, a 4:56 would really launch you : )[/align][align=center]Below is Trans in 87SS[/align][align=center][:-]
Transmission(s)
4-speed 200-4R automatic Or Saginaw Standar For Mexican Version[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Kyle, I've read/hear that the Turbo 400 is a great transmission.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Would love to see pic's of your Monte, & details on [/align][align=center]your engine.[/align][align=center]Let us know what you do `ok[/align][align=center]Wish you good luck, `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click below link for article/review/infor[/align][align=center]on 87SS[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://web.archive.org/web/200111020...87MCRpage1.htm[/align]

Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM

welcome to mcf! sounds like u have quite a project! keep us updated and get some pics!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'm by no means a 4th generation expert... i just know them wehn i see tehm.

but i didn't think those cars came with any more than a 305

Old 03-07-2008, 02:55 PM

If you want to check the ratio, jack up the rear end, place it on jackstands, get under the car and have a friend rotate the rear passenger wheel one full revolution. Try to be as close to an exact revolution as you can. Count the number of times the yolk on the thrird member rotates. If it is almost 4 turns, it's a 3.73. 3 1/2 turns, it's a 3.50. More than 3 but less than 3 1/2 it's 3.23. You get the picture. It's easier to count if you mark the wheel and the yolk before you start. Placethe mark you put on the rear end on the yolk and the third member so you can easily count exact rotations.

Plus, while it is in the air, you can turnthe passenger sidewheel and try to hold the other. If it is very difficult to keepthe driver's sidewheel from turning while the other is turned, it's probably a posi.Not exact, but close enough to get the information you're looking for.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No U.S. sold '81-88 Monte came with anything larger then a 305. I have heard the Mexican versions were offered with a 350 and if wanted a 4-speed manual trans.

If you're concerned about gas mileage, the 200-4R is the better choice although a lot of 4th generation owners have swapped trans when they pulled the original 305 out.

Most of the 4th gens came with open rear gear sets. Fewer came with posi rears.

I am in no way knocking this web site. Cause one, I'm one of the top 10 post ******. MonteCarloSS.com is mostly 4th generation owners and you don't have to own an SS to be a member............... cause I'm one.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM

the 87-88 came with a 305 h.o and a th200r4 trans with 3.73 gears
the rear end will hold up to 350 hp no prob i myself dont like the 200r4 trans i would go with a th350 or if you need the gas millage go th700r4
the loder 83-85 got the 3.42 gears

Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

i'm by no means a 4th generation expert... i just know them wehn i see tehm.

but i didn't think those cars came with any more than a 305

ORIGINAL: 87ss355

it has no motor and needs some body work, but i already do have a motor for it, its a performance built 355 pushing about 350hp to the wheels,

Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM

thanks guys, i don't have pics of it yet, becuase the trade is still in the process and i don't have possession of the car yet, but i will post when i get it, thanks for all the info, i'll be posting very soon to possibly get some tips on these body flaws that this car has, but thanks again guys.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There were two versions of the 305 available. The 305 and the305 H.O.

MyLS theH.O. in it. Mainly cause the guy I got it from scrapped the original V8.

When I first got the car I could not pull away from a dead stop without turning the back tires. Unintentionally of course.

Sure wish it had that kind of power now. But I know the engine has high mileage on it. I knew it when Igot the car.

It still runs decent enough to get us to car shows and cruise-ins then back home every summer.

Quick Reply: some questions from a new member!!!