Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Default Ignition Switch

I have an 85 SS. It has a 350 with 350 trans. I have MSD Ignition and coil. I had some issues with the headlights coming off and on. I found that problem at the starter (wires were showing metal and touching transmission tube).

Now, I had the car running at idle and after several minutes, it just shut off. I had just changed the transmission filter and did an oil change. I have never had a car just shut off like that. There was no warning..almost like some fuse had blown or something.

I have new battery and cables. None of the fuses in the fuse box are blown. None of my accessories work. There is no power to the fuses when checked with a test light with the key turned on. I also checked the wire on the solenoid and it does not light the test light when the ignition is turned to crank. Headlights work, horn works and other fuse slots that always have battery power are working.

The key buzzer is also working when I put the key in it. On the same day, I turned my key to crank it and it would not turn back for me to get the key out. I got it out now.

Why would I not get power to the fuse box when the key is turned? What do you guys think happened?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Default RE: Ignition Switch

my guess would be a bad ignition switch... would explain why the key locked in the switch and no power on acc on.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:28 AM

I think I found the problem. I have already lowered the column and replaced the switch. Still, no ignition or gauges and no change.

I remember using a testlight to test the wires coming off the positive side of the solenoid and they were hot all the time. Well, I had gone to Wal-Mart to get some of those plastic clamps that join wires together. I sqeezed it and figured it was good. I tested the wires before and after that clamp and they were hot (this was good). But, the car just shut off for no reason after that. I had my wife hold the key to start position and wiggled the wires, but still nothing. Well, when I went back today and tested the wires again, one of them was not hot! What had happened was that the plastic clamp only partially joined the wires and when my engine was running, it caused the wire in the clamp to lose contact. I took that clamp off and threw it as far as I could and I will re-wire it again tomorrow. I foresee a good result!

Thanks

Old 03-24-2006, 12:34 AM

I think the jamming of the key may have been due to the rod just getting jammed. I'm checking that also....I did replace the switch anyway after all the hard work with the column. The column was surprisingly easy! I just took off the two 5/8 nuts on either side and pulled the column downward. After a few minutes of trying to squeeze my hand in tight spaces to get to the screws, I realized that I could take the other four 1/2 screws off that bracket and get a really good view of everything (and fit those tiny screws back onto the switch).

Just wanted to add this for anyone else who is going to try it!

Thanks