Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Reverse threads on fuel filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Reverse threads on fuel filter ?

Hello, just before I cut the filter out because its rusted in place and leaking, by chance does it have "reverse threads" on it ? (An 04 Chevy Impala 3400, exactly the same fuel line as the 04 Monte Carlo). Thanks......
I just wanted to do a quick check before I cut the line.... Mjclemm...

Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I don't know if you've brought out the cutoff wheel yet for the fuel line, but the filter is not reverse thread. I can usually break the filters loose by spraying them with penetrating oil and waiting a few minutes. Then I position a couple flare nut wrenches so I can wrap both my hands around both handles and SQUEEZE as hard as you can. If the vehicle is accessible the night before I'll spray it then and let the penetrating oil work overnight, then hit it again a little before doing the R&R. If they still refuse to budge I give 'em a shot of CRC Freeze-Off < Link

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I don't know if you've brought out the cutoff wheel yet for the fuel line, but the filter is not reverse thread. I can usually break the filters loose by spraying them with penetrating oil and waiting a few minutes. Then I position a couple flare nut wrenches so I can wrap both my hands around both handles and SQUEEZE as hard as you can. If the vehicle is accessible the night before I'll spray it then and let the penetrating oil work overnight, then hit it again a little before doing the R&R. If they still refuse to budge I give 'em a shot of CRC Freeze-Off < Link
Thanks for the reply.... I sprayed it everyday for 7 days trying to break it loose.. Finally cut it out today.. Had no choice. After I removed it I couldn't even get it loose with a Vise on one side ! Rusted BIG TIME !... Anyway, I decided to use steel line instead of rubber, I just got a fuel line (steel) from autozone, cut it to size, flared both ends and installed it. NO LEAKS!.....I just wish they would have made that connection out of stainless steel instead of regular steel. It's a filter that needs replaced every so often, you'd think they would have... All the salt used on the roads in Wisconsin does a number on the underside of cars... Oh well, it's done now. I coated the fittings with "Never seize" that way it won't rust so bad... (Fingers crossed). Thanks again... Michael...

Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MJClemm
I coated the fittings with "Never seize" that way it won't rust so bad... (Fingers crossed). Thanks again... Michael...
This is the ONE task that Never Seize has always failed me. Something I've tried now and seems to help, pack grease around the fitting. I've used grease from my grease gun since I don't have a tub of bearing grease around.

Sure, when you have to service it again, you will have to clean away the grease, but if it did it's job, it preserved the fitting from rusting.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
This is the ONE task that Never Seize has always failed me. Something I've tried now and seems to help, pack grease around the fitting. I've used grease from my grease gun since I don't have a tub of bearing grease around.

Sure, when you have to service it again, you will have to clean away the grease, but if it did it's job, it preserved the fitting from rusting.
Not a bad idea at all... Hey, if it works , it's a great idea... I would have gladly paid a bit more for Stainless steel fittings on certain areas that need regular maintenance, only makes seance, but I'm not an engineer...lol

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MJClemm
I would have gladly paid a bit more for Stainless steel fittings on certain areas that need regular maintenance, only makes seance, but I'm not an engineer...lol
I've said for years it's a shame for how little it might cost that car manufactures don't use stainless brake and fuel lines. I get that they want the cars to "wear out" with age, but I deem these lines as safety issues when they fail.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've said for years it's a shame for how little it might cost that car manufactures don't use stainless brake and fuel lines. I get that they want the cars to "wear out" with age, but I deem these lines as safety issues when they fail.
Agree, stainless would be so much of a relief for those of us that do brakes, fuel issues... So much down time spent on RUSTED fittings ! For the manufacture to use stainless would simply cost $25-$40 per car MAX (volume discount) I would have GLADLY paid another $200 for them on a new vehicle.... My next new car will have stainless fittings installed before I even pick it up...lol...ill pay to have them don...

Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Yep, stainless throughout would be nice. Some manufacturers do use stainless, but they're not the mass produced vehicles most of us own. They are going to cut production cost any way they can. Steel brake/fuel lines is one way they do it. Where the problem comes in is lack of maintenance. If the filter is changed every 2 years as recommended the steel fittings aren't difficult to seperate. It's when you come up against one that hasn't been changed in 6, 8, 10 years that you have problems.

A little 'trick' that I use is to apply a thin coat of vasoline to the threads of the line nut prior to threading it into the filter. It fills the gaps between the threads so moisture can't get into them and makes removal next time a breeze.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 04-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Yep, stainless throughout would be nice. Some manufacturers do use stainless, but they're not the mass produced vehicles most of us own. They are going to cut production cost any way they can. Steel brake/fuel lines is one way they do it. Where the problem comes in is lack of maintenance. If the filter is changed every 2 years as recommended the steel fittings aren't difficult to seperate. It's when you come up against one that hasn't been changed in 6, 8, 10 years that you have problems.

A little 'trick' that I use is to apply a thin coat of vasoline to the threads of the line nut prior to threading it into the filter. It fills the gaps between the threads so moisture can't get into them and makes removal next time a breeze.

Yes, great idea on the Vasoline...
With the lack of maintenance, totally agree as well.... My car (the Montes that I have had since new) are fine... Ya the 04 that I p lied up used for my daughter, this is the one I'm having the issues with. But I replumed it with new fuel lines (steel) they couldn't get them in Stainless, so I coated it with a thin grease as well as treated the threads..... HOPEFULLY it will just fly apart next time... Thanks for your input... Mjclemm....