Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replaced my fifth hub assembly today

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
3 Year Member
Default Replaced my fifth hub assembly today

I'm on my fifth replacement hub assembly on the '03 Monte. That's seven including the original pair. Groan. I suppose with 214,000 miles and counting I probably shouldn't complain. The one I put in myself last month apparently wasn't good, so had the shop replace it when they confirmed that today. They did splice in the ABS harness I hadn't had the time or desire to do, so that's done. Keeping my fingers crossed no more Christmas tree cluster.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
3 Year Member

So after replacing the fifth hub yesterday, along with the ABS harness for the same wheel (left front), my ABS/Service Traction Control/Trac Control Off/Brake lights all went off again this morning. Back to the shop and they scanned it again - today the other wheel was throwing the error (right front). Today I had my sixth hub installed (eight including the originals). Talking about this after the fact with some folks it seems like this is pretty common. The best theory we came up with is that the signal from the new hubs maybe stronger than the remaining hub causing the problem to seemingly "move" (based on scanner output, not just a guess at which wheel is the problem wheel) after changing one of the hubs.

Has anyone else run into something similar that may lend some credence to this theory? In talking about it we compared notes on four different vehicles, all of which seem to be displaying this behavior. Obviously that isn't nearly a large enough sample set though.

If this really is the case, maybe when this issue arises it's worth simply changing both of the hubs at the same time.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There could also be dirty grounds that are tripping the codes.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I replaced both hubs on my wife's 2005 Impala SS because there was play in them the light still stayed on , I replaced the wire harness from one hub to the side of the engine it fixed the problem .. over a year now..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM

We had a reoccurring problem after we replaced a hub assembly that was really bad. Ended up checking and cleaning all grounds and it seemed to fix the problem. Yet it came back. I cleaned the connector of the hub we replaced and fixed the problem I thought but it came back. I just figured i would keep regularly cleaning the connection but before I could the problem stopped and so far has not come back.
Check all the grounds though as that is probably your problem. If a hub assembly is going out you will know it loud a clear from the grinding noise.
Good luck

Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stardust
We had a reoccurring problem after we replaced a hub assembly that was really bad. Ended up checking and cleaning all grounds and it seemed to fix the problem. Yet it came back. I cleaned the connector of the hub we replaced and fixed the problem I thought but it came back. I just figured i would keep regularly cleaning the connection but before I could the problem stopped and so far has not come back.
Check all the grounds though as that is probably your problem. If a hub assembly is going out you will know it loud a clear from the grinding noise.
Good luck
Where can someone with no clue find the grounds to check? Any Pictures would be a great help also where would I find the ground for the Fuel Pump??

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

What hubs are you using. $19.99 special?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree on the cheap hub replacement. There are constant threads going on right now. Using anything but a Timken hub is a mistake. And if the connection at the hub is good and CLEAN, then you do have a wiring problem and you will have to replace that harness. That's why they sell them.