Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Replaced rotors, pads and hub assembly now squealing is real bad

Old 06-01-2013, 02:00 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Replaced rotors, pads and hub assembly now squealing is real bad

I replaced the brakes , rotors, and hub assembly. Now my wheels squeaks all the time. High and low speeds i can hear it. When i turn the wheel from dead stop to get going it gets extremely loud. This wasn't even happening when i had all the old stuff on there. Only thing i have left to try to replace are the calipers but i have a feeling that will not stop the horrible squealing. Pads are Duralast which i have used before, Hub assembly is AC Delco, can't remember the brand on the rotors. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
wann

Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wann
I replaced the brakes , rotors, and hub assembly. Now my wheels squeaks all the time. High and low speeds i can hear it. When i turn the wheel from dead stop to get going it gets extremely loud. This wasn't even happening when i had all the old stuff on there. Only thing i have left to try to replace are the calipers but i have a feeling that will not stop the horrible squealing. Pads are Duralast which i have used before, Hub assembly is AC Delco, can't remember the brand on the rotors. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
wann
1-10 how hard was it to change that hub assembly I'm gonna do mines soon. Also if u didn't replace the rear brakes that could be the problem. Or possibly use the non-squeak grease that comes with some brake pads

Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM

1 being easy and 10 being hard i would say a 5 if everything had went correctly but mine ended up being an 11. There are 3 bolts for the assembly and a lil difficult to get to. Just difficult enough to strip one, which is what i did. Had to end up drilling the hole and crowbarring the hell out of it trying to get it off. But another problem is that the back part of the hub had also sort of fused in the mount. My car has 180k miles so u might not run into the same issues. When i did the other side and everything went right took me 45 minutes max to get everything off then back on

Ur gonna need:
35mm socket (rent)
breaker bar
ratchet with nice range of metric sockets from 13mm to 19mm
And an 2 1/2 inch extender for the ratchet to get to the bolts easier.
Also when you go to rent that tell them what ur doing and they'll suggest some sort of "hub puller"? not sure of the name but it helps pull the hub out from the cv joint.

I did replace the back brakes but its the front ones that are the issue. I'm thinkiing i was possible sold defective hubs but they are AC delco so i'm not sure where the real problem is

Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you replace the abutement clips and grease them properly

Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM

I did not replace them. Should i have? There weren't making any noises before and i've done my brakes a couple of times.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I replace them everytime I change brakes. My brake pads always come with a new set in the box actually.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM

Cool. I will give that a try then before i purchase new calipers. Hopefully they are sold separately. Obviously i did not receive those with my new pads.
thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM

You said it gets extremely loud when you turn from a dead stop to get going, are you saying just turning the wheel makes it loud? Sorry to ask kind of an obvious question, but you can definitely tell it's the wheel/brakes and not your belt and/or steering pump, right?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM

The squealing doesn't start till i start moving and it is extremely loud if i have to make a sharp turn starting from a stopped position.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

I only asked about the PS pump because of how you described it....slow sharp turns are louder. In my head it doesn't seem like a slow turn would make a wheel bearing be loud. In theory, if you're going slow then you haven't really loaded a wheel bearing so it doesn't follow (in my head) that a bearing would be loud at slow speed. But a PS pump would be it's loudest when it's the most loaded....which is sharp turns at low speed.

But if you're certain it's suspension and not accessories then my thoughts are moot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced rotors, pads and hub assembly now squealing is real bad