Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC SS another turn signal question

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
Default 2001 MC SS another turn signal question

Hi guys,new member here.I have a 01 MC SS and like many of you am experiencing intermittent turn signal problems.My brother in law is a mechanic and he helped me put in a new hazard switch last summer and they worked ok up until about a month ago.Here's the kicker.When you turn the key on they work just fine,but as soon as you start the car,they will just stay stuck in the on position,until eventually after you've been driving a while they will start to work normally again.Anyway i just thought that might ring a bell with somebody,he thought it might need a new ignition switch but thought i might have to go to the dealer for that.I love the car,its not a daily driver,but i still need to try to figure it out.Thanks in advance if you guys have any thoughts/ideas.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM

Welcome to the forum!

The ignition switch 'could' possibly be the culprit. I was having multiple weird things going on with my 2001 3.4 car.

Began with it not starting due to security light flashing. Leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes would get it started but then it got worse. Airbag light, abs light, battery light etc would start flashing and then go away. The fuel pump also kept spinning to build up pressure but wouldn't shut off.

Anyway, long story short if you want to replace the ignition switch it's very easy. Check out this link for instructions. It's for an Impala but I think the only difference is the screw in the glovebox of Montes you have to remove for the dash. I bought a Dorman brand ignition switch from rockauto.com but I know many people will recommend getting OE parts for any types of switches for these cars.

Replacing my ignition switch fixed all of the problems.

Hope this helps

7th gen ignition switch replacement/access - Chevy Impala Forums

Also, the ignition switch and key cylinder are separate components. You can replace just the switch and insert the original key cylinder into that.

Last edited by jim1405; 02-01-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM

I havent had as many issues as you did,but sometimes the airbag light does flash randomly and sometimes it just stays on.I will definitely look into getting a new ignition switch soon,its worth a shot since its not too labor intensive.Thanks a lot for the reply !