Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Remote trunk actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote trunk actuator

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not lazy, just disabled... Can anyone help troubleshoot my remote trunk actuator, please. Took my darling to the dealer with brake light issues and got it back without an operating trunk release. (it worked when I dropped it off, got my Stetson out). The remote and panel button won't work, but the lights flash, but can someone lessen my monkey-like contorting to dig out what happened?. What fuse controls this also, please? Only 52k on her.. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

still not working, any ideas, please? Thank you, Ken

Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM

The fuse box diagrams should be in your owner's manual if you still have it...

Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it worked before the brake light issue and stopped after the issue was resolved, my question is, what did the dealer do. Did they have to repair or re-seat a wiring harness? I believe the Monte trunk pop works by applying 12volts direct from the battery to the + side of it and then a ground (some GM's body ground and others had a ground wire taken to it). Could simply test the trunk release unit by applying power to it and seeing if it triggers. If it does, then it's something either a fuse or wiring problem.
Fuse diagrams are normally in the owner's manual as mentioned or on a label to the door of the fuse block.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM

The actuator is attached to the trunk lock on the lid. There's a power and a ground wire running to it. The power wire comes from the BCM (Body Control Module).

The ground wire is common with the center stop lamp and the rear compartment lid ajar switch.

I would check to be sure the center stop light works, if not the ground is missing.

There is a connector, C430 in the manual that brings the stop lamps, trunk release and trunk ajar signals to the back of the car. Maybe they screwed around with it? C430 is in the trunk above the right wheelhouse.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:22 PM

I'm having a similar issue with my '01 SS. I retrofitted all the interior lights with SMD panels including the trunk light several months ago. I noticed tonight that my trunk light is staying on. I brought home some pieces of large cardboard for a crafts project and had to open the rear seat to accommodate the size. That is when I noticed the light staying on. I assume that since my interior lights were on a timer that my trunk lights were also? This is why my battery has not died overnight? It has not caused an issue yet but I don't want it to become a problem in the future. How is the trunk light controlled? Does the SMD panel retrofit have anything to do with it? Does the rear seat folded down make a difference? Does the fact that it was night time influence the problem?
The SMD panels are polarity sensitive. I replaced the overhead incandescent bulb with two 48 element SMD panels, the foot lights with one 48 element SMD panel for each side and the rear view mirror bulbs with a 5 SMD element unit each. Yes, it is very bright. (7000K color temp) I freakin love it. I can send pics if you want. The whole thing cost me less than 50 bucks on Amazon. Please advise on how the circuit functions. Thank You in advance for any help.
Mike Myrick

Last edited by gmjunkyard; 10-01-2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gprtech
The actuator is attached to the trunk lock on the lid. There's a power and a ground wire running to it. The power wire comes from the BCM (Body Control Module).

The ground wire is common with the center stop lamp and the rear compartment lid ajar switch.

I would check to be sure the center stop light works, if not the ground is missing.

There is a connector, C430 in the manual that brings the stop lamps, trunk release and trunk ajar signals to the back of the car. Maybe they screwed around with it? C430 is in the trunk above the right wheelhouse.

Well that's all interesting and all but .My 3rd brake light doesn't work my brake lights work and my trunk release was working fine using either the button on the dash or by the remote. Just recently the remote and the dash button won't open my trunk. I don't think it's wiring related everything seems to operate like normal it's just like the actuator is not getting the signal. So am I answering my own question (replace my actuator )? I hear some sound in my dash and my lights flash just like normal . Herman