Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Reinstalling rocker arms after head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 06:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls
Great info! I'll probably just grab a couple bottles from the dealership and start fresh with that. If I flush the block, heater core/hoses, and radiator, how much water will be in the system, and how much water does it take to completely fill the system? It rarely goes below 10 degrees here, so I think I'm going to shoot for about 30% antifreeze, 70% water.
Not sure where you are at, but I am in northern Ohio (I am one street from the lake). We get some cold days here. I always use a 50/50 mix. I favor buying concentrated coolant and diluting it myself (because I find it to the be a touch cheaper then buying pre-diluted stuff).

Old 07-24-2022, 06:40 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I'll second this having run multiple cars on dex and never having swapped a single one to a different coolant.

The thing that blows me away is how many people (even car people) just flat out ignore everything other fluid beyond engine oil. Even the generous 10/100k, they'll just blow right by that and never think about it until something goes wrong.
Same people that hold on to the term "Death-Cool" .

Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Not sure where you are at, but I am in northern Ohio (I am one street from the lake). We get some cold days here. I always use a 50/50 mix. I favor buying concentrated coolant and diluting it myself (because I find it to the be a touch cheaper then buying pre-diluted stuff).
I live in Albuquerque NM, I personally wouldn't mind adding antifreeze every winter and then draining a bit to add water every summer. I've heard (and done research to back this up) that antifreeze is not as good a coolant as water is, so I'd like to run whatever will work best during the given season. according to this image I found on the Corvette forum, if I hit 30% antifreeze by volume I'll be good down to about zero F, which would suit my area. all I need to know in order to do this correctly is how much fluid fits in the entire cooling system.

Incase the file doesn't attach here's a link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-60-ratio.html

EDIT: I found that the capacity is 11.3 quarts/ 10.7 liters via google, I'll base my calculations off of this info.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
coolant%vstemp.gif (27.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by 1st-monte-ls; 07-27-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls
I've heard (and done research to back this up) that antifreeze is not as good a coolant as water is, so I'd like to run whatever will work best during the given season.
No offense intended, but if your car doesnt cool properly on the 50/50 it was designed for, I'd fix that issue first.

I agree running more water % is generally better for cooling capability, but I wouldnt go so low that you risk it freezing or have to drain / refill to re-ratio twice a year. Thats a lot of hassle on a street car that shouldn't be so close to the edge of overheating that it needs a few % more water to keep it from burning up anyways.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:15 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
No offense intended, but if your car doesnt cool properly on the 50/50 it was designed for, I'd fix that issue first.

I agree running more water % is generally better for cooling capability, but I wouldnt go so low that you risk it freezing or have to drain / refill to re-ratio twice a year. Thats a lot of hassle on a street car that shouldn't be so close to the edge of overheating that it needs a few % more water to keep it from burning up anyways.

Don't worry! I'm right smack dab in the middle of a head gasket job lol.

EDIT: Record low temperature here is -17F a 40/60 split will put me right about there, most years stay above freezing so I'm comfortable with that.

Last edited by 1st-monte-ls; 07-27-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:22 PM

10 Year Member

Keep in mind, anti-freeze serves a few purposes:
  1. Lubricant for the water pump
  2. Contains anti-corrosive agents
  3. If I recall, in addition to changing the freezing temp, I believe it changes the boiling temp as well.
Granted, I don't think you desire to run less anti-freeze and more water will jeopardize any of that, but I will side with Bumpin', seems like a bunch of extra hassle on a street car and I question how much gain you are really getting for your efforts.
Per the shop book, a 2003 Monte with the 3400 holds 11.3 quarts of coolant.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:51 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Keep in mind, anti-freeze serves a few purposes:
  1. Lubricant for the water pump
  2. Contains anti-corrosive agents
  3. If I recall, in addition to changing the freezing temp, I believe it changes the boiling temp as well.
Granted, I don't think you desire to run less anti-freeze and more water will jeopardize any of that, but I will side with Bumpin', seems like a bunch of extra hassle on a street car and I question how much gain you are really getting for your efforts.
Per the shop book, a 2003 Monte with the 3400 holds 11.3 quarts of coolant.
All fair points, but #1 and #3 really don't bother me much, and a 40% mix should keep me out of the danger zone during winter so I won't be re-ratioing every season, thanks for all y'alls help!