Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Random battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Random battery drain

Today when i came out of school to start my car it was dead when i tried to start the car it just clicked a bunch of times and nothing happened. i got a friend to jump the car took about 5 mins with his on to get mine to start. i made sure i didnt leave anything on. My radar was unpluged my radio was turned off and my lights were off.

This has also happened before. It did not start one morning jumped it went to school, after school it started right up went home, the next morning it was dead again, jumped it went to school, after school started up no problem, later that night around 6:30 tried to start the car to go to the gym and it was dead again. jumped it drove around for 20 mins and then the next it started up just fine.

the time between today and the last time this happened was about weeks i would say. i though it might be my battery but then it didn't happen again for so long i just forgot about it. i aslo checked my battery conections they are all fine.

Does anybody know what my problem might be.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Random battery drain

I had this problem in my 2001 Monte SS and it turned out my light in the trunk was not going out for some reason, that cured it!

Jaosn

Old 01-25-2007, 04:09 AM

thanks now you got me thinking . i have done this same thign a few times also but mine is real far inbetween.
I have a optimua bat. and i have a box with a amp. and the dvd players in my car. used to be i could run that all day long and was fine to start it etc... now in about 20min it will kill the bat. and i have to jump it off. i figured there was a dead cell in the bat. so i called the bat. distro center and they are willing to replace it after i get back. but makes me wonder if this is the same issue.
when you start the car mine will charge real hard so i tells me the system is charging the car . but i cant figure out the draw on it that seems to be so strong.
unles sit is jsut the bat. has gone bad with in a year. i havent had it a year till march 30th of 07.
we will se ei guess when i get my car back i will do a load test on it and see what happens

Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

just check this to be safe...but your only driving little distances..and its cold now ..so go get the alternator checked out..or if you have a tool to check it make sure its putting out more than 14v ..because if its not and your only driving short distances it will drain the battery...just went through this with my wifes parents car, it went on long enough(without them telling me) that we needed to change out the battery, returned the walmart one and put a interstate 85 month warranty one in, AND a new alternator...at least when they returned the battery to walmart they got enough money to pay for the interstate one from me..so all they had to buy was an alternator and all problems fixed....

this might not be the problem..just the fact that its winter time its worth a try to check it out

Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM

yeah i need ot check this i dont drive it to far most days. So we will chek it out.
i know if i dont use the stereo like leveing it on while im out of the car etc.. or not lettign it sit while im watching a dvd with out starting it. it will not do this so i figured it might be the issue.

I will get the alt checked out also.
Give me a good reason to get mine Anodized and also go for the bigger model LOL

Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM

When it is as cold as we have had the last several weeks (I live only 60 Miles from you)even a brand new battery normally only holds 80 % charge. Short drives hurt it even more because it doesn't have time to "warm up" and get the electronsmoving internally toaccept/hold a good charge. Over a period of time a partially discharged battery can "sulfate" and make a cell die. Best bet is to take it to a good tech, if he does it correctly he should put the battery on a trickle (2Amps or less)charge for 18-24 hours in a warm room to get an accurate load test.Load testing a cold battery does work, sometimes it can screw up the results and you might replace a battery when all that is needed is to be charged, but to do it accurately it should be warm and fully charged.

IMHOI would not suggest Autozone or something like that, I just don't have much confidence in someplace tetelling my thatmy parts are good or bad if they are only in the parts selling business.