Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

05 Monte Carlo ss with a battery drain ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Default 05 Monte Carlo ss with a battery drain ???

I recently bought my 05 ss, I have loved my car so far, but recently have ran into a problem. It has happened off and on, not sure what the underlying constant is to it yet, but I have a drain I think. Finally thought it was a weak battery (it had the original) so I replaced it. I put an interstate in it. It did fine for about a week, I even took one fairly long trip of about two hours and drove around there a bit, so I know its not an alternator problem. I drove it last friday, it sat that night, all day saturday, and sunday I tried to go somewhere and it was dead, no unlocking, gauges wouldnt turn over, nothing. I took it to the local chevy, they looked at it, and told me when it was going into sleep, it was still draining about 50 milliamps, and they got it down to 34. However not by adjusting anything, just by turning it on and off. ????? I thought that was a little gay. Well here I am a week later, and it died again. ANYBODY ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM, OR HAVE HEARD OF IT????????????????

Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Default RE: 05 Monte Carlo ss with a battery drain ???

WELCOME TO MCF NATHAN!!!

This could be a ton of weird things... it is just a matter of triming them down. We know "something" is drawing current so in a nutshell we have to look at everything electrical in the car that could be pulling current.

I would definately look into the vanity mirror lights. Those have poor switches being just the little bumps and can fail and the hinges can crack easily which takes off the pressure to push the switch down. I've had it happen on 3 vehicles now. Easiest way to fully test it is just take out the 3 screws that hold the mirror to the roof on the driver and passenger side and disconnect the small electric clip. If the battery stays good then you know it is one of these.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Hi Nathan, & Welcome to the MCF,
Sorry to read thatyou are having problems with your Monte : (
When the car was running, did your amp gauge show that it was
charging ?
Did the mechanic check your alternator ?
It could bea voltage regulator. Also check the terminals and make sure they are tight.I had a similiar problem with my first car,and found that one of the terminals had a hairline crack. Replaced both along with the regulator and all is well.
It's difficult to find the correct answer to your problem with
just reading your written words.
Also, check your fuses and make sure they are tight & good.
Sometimes moisture can enter & cause a short : (
Did you get a CarFax on your Monte when you brought it ?
There are many flood cars here in Florida, & people are having
many electrical problems with the cars they purchased : (
I hope I gave you some idea's. Check back later & I'm sure
that other member's with more experience/knowledge will also
assist and post.
Good Luck to you & your Monte,
`Space

Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM

Duh.... actually thinking about this some more, you can just pull the fuses and that will help locate the problem. Basically pull the ones for the unnecessary items like dome lights and things like that. See if it drains then.

This is what I didon an old Pontiac to find the the darn short in the vanity mirror.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Ok!! well the fuse idea sounds good!!!I'll try that. I figured the tech at the dealer should have been able to detect that hopefully, who knows though with the stupid answer of "sleep mode is drawing to many amps" as an answer. Answer to space rider, it shouldnt be my battery or alternator, both me and the tech checked that, also I figured that off the bat since my new battery lasted that long trip two weeks ago. I was hoping maybe there was some defect from the factory or something that alot of them had and once fixed the first time you were would good to go. Also, no flooding damage on it, I have the carfax. It was a one time owner close to where I live here in missouri. Thanks you guys!!! I'll try the fuse idea, any other ideas aremore then welcome.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 PM

Another tip... if your car is parked close to your house... like on the other side of where a microwave is, I've only heard of this problem ONCE on a SS V8 Monte.. but it has the exact same transmission module as your car with the S/C 4t65-e HD tranny.

Believe it or not, a microwave running within a short vincinity of the transmission control module can actually cause the transmission module to become active... even though it's not doing anything... and drain the battery...

Who was it that first experienced this? Shees, I can't remember.... I remember hearing about it like months ago...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Really?! Huh, well it sounds reasonable. Mine is qute a bit away though, I have a detatched garage, at least 10-15 yards. Is tha close enough?? Also wouldn't it have to be on quite a bit to drain it down. I dont think we use it that much.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

I think that was me talking about the microwave problem.The tech at the dealership told me there was a service bulletin on it.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Yes... The microwave's magnetrontransmits so much RF that it will cause the car to some out of its sleep mode and force the BCM to become active. You can do the same thing if you hold a gmrs radio next to the windshield of the 06-07's and hold the ptt key.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 PM

I had the same problem on a 2005 corvette. All the same scenarios talked
about on here ( microwave)etc. even leaving the key fob within 50 ft. of the car
was discussed on other vette forums.Eventually what became of that was a reflash
or reprogram of the computer.No problems since(knock on wood) this has been a
year now.Also garage door openers was discussed as a culprit. what ever you find out
I hope you get it fixed cause it does irrate you.

Quick Reply: 05 Monte Carlo ss with a battery drain ???