Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

canstant drain on battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Default canstant drain on battery

I have a 2001 LS and there is a constant drain on my battery. I have been told that it may be due to the daytime running lights. I took out the daytime running fuse which had no effect. Has anyone else had this problem with the battery constantly dying?

John

Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: canstant drain on battery

daytime running lights wouldn't cause the battery to constantly drain

it is a 2001, so its 5 or 6 years old now, and thats usually all you can expect from a battery, on average they go after 5 years, thats why you get a 5 year warranty on them, becuase the battery companies know that they're going to go after 5 years

i'd check your wiring though, should have nothing to do with the daytime running lights

maybe get your belt, alternator and battery checked at the nearest parts store, they should test it for free, i know we do

Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 PM

Sounds like a Battery going bad to me as well!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 PM

dead battery...does it sound like the battery is struggling when u crank it...like a slow cranking...

Old 12-08-2006, 08:45 PM

I had a problem with a drain on the battery as well. Although, it turned out to be a major malfunction in the electrical system. I took it to the dealer, and they fixed it in 2-3 days. No problems since. Thank god for my extended warrantee .

Old 12-09-2006, 02:43 PM

I thought it was the battery also, until I replaced it 4 times. I have had the alternator checked, it is fine. Never had wiring looked at, will do that. thanks

Old 12-09-2006, 02:55 PM

When I get jumped off I am good for at least a day if I drive for a while after getting the jump. Was this a similar problem with yours Jeff? What exactly was the major problem with the electrical system? just so I can tell the dealership what to look at?

Old 12-16-2006, 12:33 AM

If the battery is constantly going dead and it's a GOOD battery-------you probably have what's called a Parasitic Load. It is very easy to verify. Turn all electrical items OFF. Make certain NOTHING is turned on, not even the dome light, under hood light, trunk light, iginition switch, etc. Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable. Connect a 12Volt circuit tester (a light with a connector wire attached) between the battery cable you removed and the negative battery post that you took the cable off of. You can buy a good tester at your local parts store for a few bucks. The circuit tester is going to complete the circuit you broke when disconnecting the battery cable. If the tester lights up, you have a parasitic load or draw on the car battery. Now you have to isolate the problem. You need a helper, someone to hold the tester on the battery while you start pulling fuses, relays, etc. Also, the alternator can produce a parasitic load. Just disconnect the large hot wire on the back of the alternator (it supplies power to the alternator from the battery). Disconnect one circuit at a time. Keep repeating this until the light goes out. Fix the problem and your done. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:14 AM

thanks for the tip. I will try that out this weekend.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:28 AM

Also look for any aftermarket problems. Did you install a different radio, foglights, etc?

Quick Reply: canstant drain on battery