Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

question and diagnostics regarding sunroof issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default question and diagnostics regarding sunroof issue

Hi guys, I hope everyones good and enjoying their monte's . Me on the other hand am faced with a problem regarding my sunroof. It's an '03 SS fully loaded. I purchased it in 2009 with a mal-functioning sunroof. Ever since I bought it I've been scared from touching anything sunroof related and discouraged from the high prices glass shops are quoting me for repair. Anyways, I built enough courage to try and figure out what was going on under there, so I took down the roof and checked the track to find out if the problem is there. Now my question, when I press the roof button back I hear the motor cranking hard and the track only moves 1 inch, so I close and open close and open and it doesnt go beyond that 1 inch, also, at times the left side starts stuttering and the right side moves smoothly and other times vice versa (if I manually try to move/play with it). Is the problem in the track (it being out of alignment) or could it be the motor not transferring enough power to the track? I'm really hoping I can get this problem fixed before the summer and I dont have to get the headliner dropped. BTW, I cleaned the track with WD-40 and then I sprayed white lithium grease on the moving parts, and I also heard that there is a computer relearn procedure for sunroofs but am unsure of how its done. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys,

Regards,
George

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM

I'm having similar issues with my '07 sunroof, but it only happens when it's cool outside. I'll press the button to open it to vent - no problem, nut when I press the button again for the full open, it jams within about a 1/2 inch. Usually it jams on the left, but sometimes on the right. I have to reach out the window and give it a good tug and shake to get it to move. Quite frustrating. I've cleaned the track and greased it as well to no avail. I'm going to try to find some time to give it a good inspection this weekend in preparation for my upcoming road trip. I'll let you know if I find anything that might be useful.