Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Question regarding Fuel Range 2006 MC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question regarding Fuel Range 2006 MC

With my 2006 SS, I noticed when I filled up last week to Full, the fuel range said 580-590 something KM (im in canada). Then the other day I filled up completely as well yet my fuel range indicated 450 km. So why the variation?

When it said 590km I had just come off a long highway trip and I think its possible the computer took that into consideration when I filled up? Also if I reset the average fuel consumption on the DIC, would this of changed the fuel range when it realized I was doing more city driving?

Thanks to anyone who responds,

Last edited by Slugger088; 05-24-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 AM

yes and yes. it took your average highway mileage from the last tank into consideration. if you reset the average and trip itll recalculate it. lately have started clearing trip A and average when i fill up to try and keep an eye my mileage(gas is to pricey to not keep track of). trip B i clear when i change my oil. i dont trust the oil life percentage. just a question whats 590 come out to in miles? best ive gotten was 350miles on a tank. i did alot of highway cruise control driving, and did my best to drive like a filthy savage as little as possible. thats with a tune, no dod, an exhaust, and a cold air.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 05-24-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
yes and yes. it took your average highway mileage from the last tank into consideration. if you reset the average and trip itll recalculate it. lately have started clearing trip A and average when i fill up to try and keep an eye my mileage(gas is to pricey to not keep track of). trip B i clear when i change my oil. i dont trust the oil life percentage. just a question whats 590 come out to in miles? best ive gotten was 350miles on a tank. i did alot of highway cruise control driving, and did my best to drive like a filthy savage as little as possible. thats with a tune, no dod, an exhaust, and a cold air.
Its roughly 370 miles. Keep in mind I do not have DOD disabled (still wondering if I should..should i?? ) as i heard it causes some problems..no tune for me either, no cold air installed (have it but have not installed it yet)

I was on cruise control at about 75 mph the entire trip.

Last edited by Slugger088; 05-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM

i got rid of dod just because with the car straight piped when it would switch it sounded like total trash. the oil consumption issue with dod is something to worry about unless your still under warranty, than again even if you are it must be almost up. i usually cruise at about 80 or so, and itll get around 22/24(depending on the road hills and what not) as long as im in cruise control. if i drove windows up at 60 it might get 26, but i cant handle driving that slow. dod i think is only really worth while if your on the highway constantly, and even then i dont think its necessary. when i had dod it only got around 25/26, but that was going around 80. so its up to you what to do with it. you could always get a diablo, and turn it off. if you want it back on just plug it in, and turn it back on. takes all of 3 minutes. once you have the diablo you can run a canned tune, or get it lew tuned.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i got rid of dod just because with the car straight piped when it would switch it sounded like total trash. the oil consumption issue with dod is something to worry about unless your still under warranty, than again even if you are it must be almost up. i usually cruise at about 80 or so, and itll get around 22/24(depending on the road hills and what not) as long as im in cruise control. if i drove windows up at 60 it might get 26, but i cant handle driving that slow. dod i think is only really worth while if your on the highway constantly, and even then i dont think its necessary. when i had dod it only got around 25/26, but that was going around 80. so its up to you what to do with it. you could always get a diablo, and turn it off. if you want it back on just plug it in, and turn it back on. takes all of 3 minutes. once you have the diablo you can run a canned tune, or get it lew tuned.
Thanks MonteMan, I may contact you in the future to ask more about the different tuning options I have and maybe ask some more about the benefits of disabling the DOD..hope thats okay. So far the oil consumption has been okay. I went on a pretty long trip recently and did not burn a drop of oil really. Its possible the car was brought in under warranty when the last owner had it for the oil consumption problem but yes the warranty is up on the car.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM

if the warranty is up i would probably tune that dod out. if you go on ls1tech in the ls4 section there actually a guy who just brought is in for that again. they had to tear down the whole motor. im over there too with the same name.