Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Power steering whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:32 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Power steering whine

I can't find the thread where I talked about my power steering going bad, that was last year.
I had the pump replaced November with a re-built, steering worked way better, but the whining noise was Awful.
December, I had it replaced with a replacement, same make rebuilt. Still the awful whining noise.
My mechanic said it might break in, he tried.a conditioner.
When I start it in the cold, the whine is almost a scream, way louder than my new Magnaflow exhaust.
Anyway, I finally took it to the staelership, waiting since early this morning for an estimate, and getting more upset since they haven't even looked at it yet.

Steering rack was new 2 years ago, installed by Dave when he did my transmission. He also found and replaced a bad hose.

Any ideas? Should I let the dealer have their way with her, or pay diagnostic and get it done elsewhere?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is the whine only when the engine is cold?

Could be the belt, or a tensioner and not the PS

Old 03-04-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Is the whine only when the engine is cold?

Could be the belt, or a tensioner and not the PS

No, whines all the time, just worse when cold. Definitely the pump.
Read up on GMLs4 . com that others had same problem with re-builds. Apparently, only the OEM works.

So, dealer had to bleed first. Then flush, the fluid was Bad. Dave the Tranny guy used tranny fluid rather than PS fluid.

Then, they said its defiantly the pump. They are up to 634 plus tax. And they have my car still, part supposed to be in tomorrow.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Default similar issue

I'm having a similar issue. I replaced the steering pump with one from advanced auto parts. Still have the whine. I've been driving it like that for awhile. bad in the cold just like yours. I also on occasion have problems with losing my power assisted steering. So i thought it was a bad pump. Swapped out with another. Still have the whine.

So then i thought maybe it was the water pump. replaced it. nope. Changed belt. Nope. Ran without belt just to confirm that something belt driven was the issue. YES! Confirmed. I got a piece of 3 foot copper pipe. Used that as a stethoscope. I've ruled out all other components, and i still hear a noise from around the steering pump. So it sounds like i have an OEM issue as well.

BOO.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by montecarlo48178
I'm having a similar issue. I replaced the steering pump with one from advanced auto parts. Still have the whine. I've been driving it like that for awhile. bad in the cold just like yours. I also on occasion have problems with losing my power assisted steering. So i thought it was a bad pump. Swapped out with another. Still have the whine.
I see I forgot to come back and give an update.
The dealer replaced pump with the OEM, flushed, bled and noise is gone, silent, steering works great. (they say the shaft was bad on my re-built)
All for only $668 Canadian, including our 13% tax.
That's why they call them the stealership.

Now I have 2 Car-d-one rebuilds from RockAuto and too late to send them back. So, 2 rebuilts and 2 installs, wasted around $600. And a PITA.

So, anyone with the steering pump problem, replace with the NEW OEM only.