General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Power steering whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Default Power steering whine

I have a problem guys. I don't know if this is because of the extreme heat or not. On my 06 Monte the power steering whines. Anyone know if there is something wrong with it or heard of this? It is full of power steering fluid and I have no leaks.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Default RE: Power steering whine

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: cain45

I have a problem guys. I don't know if this is because of the extreme heat or not. On my 06 Monte the power steering whines (like me : ). Anyone know if there is something wrong with it or heard of this? It is full of power steering fluid and I have no leaks.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]TO: Cain45 - `James[/align][align=center]and[/align][align=center]06-07 Monte Carlo Owners.[/align][align=center]The below information is not for a recall on the[/align][align=center]Monte Carlo, but it includes several GM Products.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
GM Recalling 2005-06 Corvettes[/align][center]
GM is recalling 123,592 vehicles, including the 2005 and 2006 Chevrolet Corvette, for a range of defects reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The recall is due to potential power steering problems that could lead to engine fires. NHTSA reports that under extreme steering conditions the power steering hose may break and leak fluid. Power steering fluid could then spray onto hot engine parts and an engine compartment fire could occur.
GM is recalling the Chevrolet Corvette, TrailBlazer, Tahoe, Express and Silverado, Buick Rainer, Cadillac Escalade, GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra and Yukon, Hummer H2 and Isuzu Ascender.
All the vehicles are from the 2006 model year, according to NHTSA. The Corvette, Silverado and Sierra models from the 2005 model year are also being recalled.
[size=4][b]GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
DCS1458
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: October 4, 2005

Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall
05086 – Power Steering Hose

Model: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette and Silverado
2005 GMC Serra
2006 Buick Rainer
2006 Cadillac Escalade
2006 Chevrolet Corvette, Express, Silverado, Tahoe, Trailblazer and
Trailblazer EXT
2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Savana, Sierra and Yukon
2006 Hummer H2

To: All Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC and Hummer Dealers

Attention: Dealer Operator, General Manager, Sales Manager,Used Car Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Administrator

Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site, the media may report that General Motors will be announcing a safety recall involving certain 2005 model year Chevrolet Corvette and Silverado; GMC Sierra; and 2006 model year Buick Rainer; Cadillac Escalade; Chevrolet Corvette, Express, Silverado, Tahoe, TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT; GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Savana, Sierra and Yukon; and Hummer H2 vehicles.

Some vehicles were shipped with a high pressure power steering hose manufactured with an incorrect compound making the hose susceptible to high pressure failure when exposed to the elevated hydraulic fluid temperatures and pressures that can occur during simultaneous braking and steering inputs. When sufficient fluid is lost, power assist for steering is no longer available and vehicle directional control will depend on manual steering efforts.

In addition, braking assist will be limited to the reserve power assist system if the vehicle is equipped with the Hydroboost braking system. The braking systems on vehicles without Hydroboost are unaffected by this condition. There also is a possibility that leaking power steering fluid could flow onto the surface of exhaust system components w

Old 08-13-2007, 06:41 AM

[align=center]Power Steering 101Q&A[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why does the power steering whine when it gets hot even after the dealer replaced the pump and rack and bled the system properly?
[/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/FAQ/534[/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i know its gonna sound wierd...but pour a 1/2 can of seafoam trans tune in your power steering fluid, it will get rid of all the moisture and clean up all the crap thats most likely causing the whining...

but if you car is covered under warranty maybe best just to have it fixed, i know that seafoam works for that on some vehicles when they get power steering whine

Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Yea I'm not putting anything other than GM "stuff" in it till the warranty is gone. That's their problem (GM). It's going in the shop soon so they can investigate it. Yesterday it was over 100 degrees and I had the AC on too and that thing moaned and whined horribly. To me, just my .02 opinion, this is unacceptable on this vehicle. This is yet another reason why people are jumping over to foreign vehicles. I know the first thing I thought was, if this was a Toyota or Honda it wouldn't be happening. I know that all cars have problems too so I don't need the lecture from anyone. LOL

Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 AM

[align=center]`James, how many miles are on your 06 LTZ ?[/align][align=center]Is this the first time that it has happened ?[/align][align=center]Let us know `if it continues.., or if you take it to the dealer[/align][align=center]and they find the problem. Please post `ok : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]No, I'm not going to give a lecture to youon being loyal to Chevrolet : ) LOL[/align][align=center]I do think that GM Chevrolet cut corner's on the 06-07 in some area's since[/align][align=center]it was the end of their model run, & they were low on funds for this refreshing[/align][align=center]from the 05 model.[/align][align=center]I've again emailed GM Division still attempting to get a model breakdown on[/align][align=center]the production runs of Monte Carlo's. They keep replying that they are[/align][align=center]researching. (Over one year now). I've posted what I have obtained, but[/align][align=center]it's limited. I can't believe that they don't know how many LTZ Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]were produced, or how many SS's were made.[/align][align=center]I've told them in my correspondence, that it's not a good way to keep[/align][align=center]brand loyality of their products, when their consumers keep getting the run[/align][align=center]around. *WoW...I feel better now : )[/align][align=center]`James, Good Luck on the Power Steering Problem.[/align][align=center]~ Peace 2 all ~[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM

The is the first problem I've had with it. It only has 14K on it.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 PM

Powersteering shouldn't whine anytime... unless you max out the turning. Since under warranty I would bring to dealer and let them "deal" with it.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM

Bad belt tensioner. Mine was bad at 4,000 miles.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 PM

24_48 was your an 06-07 Monte? How did they come to that conclusion?

Quick Reply: Power steering whine