Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

***HELP***2000 Monte LS. Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Arrow ***HELP***2000 Monte LS. Need Help Please

Hi guys... I'm just here to seek some help before i go to a shop and rack up a high bill

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo LS

The issues im having with it are the ABS / Airbag / Battery lights will come on while driving when its acting up and i car will end up shutting off at some point
When its acting up i can not use my blinkers (wont turn on) and i hear a buzzing noise
When the car does shut off, it can take me 5-10 minutes of trying before it will start again... when it shuts itself off, i do have electrical things that function like windows and radio and dash... but it wont even make the sound to attempt to turn over ( no starter sound )
I turn the key and blank

I made a video tonight with my phone, crappy, but good enough with captions that you can see whats going on
2000 Monte Carlo LS "Electrical Issues" - YouTube

any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

also i have a driver side wheel bearing that needs replacement, is that something i can do myself or should i let the shop take care of it?

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Edit 2 get attention
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 AM

Sorry to read about your problem(s)

Are you getting a Check Engine Light ?
If so, can you take it to a Auto parts store to get it read ?
It should indicate the problem.

It could be a bad connection, or module etc...
How may miles on your LS ?

Please check back to see what our expert tech member's post when they read your post.
p.s. Great Vid you made (I hope it helps a member help you

p.s. s.Have you ever replaced/repaired a wheel bearing ?
Do you have tools, or have you ever worked on vehicles ?
Below are 2 vid's that will give you some infor on how's it's done..
Good luck from`space

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 AM

My Monte has 130,XXX miles on it currently
No the check engine light is not on when this happens as of late... since i purchased the car it has always had a CEL come on from time to time and i had it read at O'Reilly's with code (P0410 Secondary Air Injection System)

thank you for your response and links

Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Default ABS,TracOff, Service Engine Soon, No Blinkers, Won't Start

I had these same symptoms on my 2000 Monte Carlo SS. ABS, Trac Off, Service Engine Soon and Service Traction System, No blinkers at times and buzzing sound (which was coming from the flasher that is both blinkers and emergency flasher relay in one) and would not start at times (no click, nothing).

Mine turned out to be the Ignition Switch for part of the problem. I had to take apart the dash to change the remote receiver because that had gone bad. I left the dash apart since I still had all of the above symptoms. When it would not start for me one day, I was a long way from home. I wore the battery down trying too many times to start it. Called AAA and they charged the battery back up, it was good. Tried shorting across the starter. Starter was fine. Wanted way too much to tow me home. So while I am sitting there at 2:00 AM in the morning, alone, I got thinking. I messed with the wiring on the ignition switch since all was open and right there. Nothing. I then took and tapped on the ignition switch housing (other side of the dash). Again because I had everything apart I could. Car STARTED. I had to do that several times until the new switch came in but worked every time to get her going. Hope this helps someone! If you need to know what to take off to get to your ignition switch, let me know.

I do still have ABS, Trac Off, and Service Engine Soon. I am thinking the shorting from the ignition caused another problem that I have to track down yet. I will update whenever I figure out what is causing this. At least the car is more than drivable now and can trust it to start again.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 AM

Ty for your help, i got my car repaired at the shop a couple weeks ago and yes... it was the ignition switch. too bad i didnt know ahead of time to save money : / ignition switch + wheel bearing cost me $850+

Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 AM

Good to read that it's fixed, but WoW the repairs were expensive 4-Sure...The cost of repairs are going up & I hope that you get many more trouble`free miles from your Monte Carlo LS. Did they do any other service for that amount ?

Explore the MCF & I hope that you can keep your Monte in good condition with proper service & maintenance

Good Luck from `Space

Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM

I just had the wheel bearing and ignition switch replaced for that amount : /
but the shop did have excellent customer service, they went above and beyond to assist me.... took me 3 visits to figure it out only because the place they order parts from shipped them a "broke/used" ignition switch and we didnt know at the time. they never charged me for any visits passed the 1st one, they dont charge for work they have done that needs repair and the part was under warranty.