Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

PO401 egr insufficient flow

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by scotts2003montecarloss
I get a po420 code so I replaced cats two times and still pulls the code. So I replace egr vavle thinking that was the problem was it. Since I replaced the egr vavle with teo new ones now a code p0401 code pulls up. I clean the tubes an the egr ports and throttle body and still pops up codes for egr vavle within five mins of driving. If I put old one on car it doesn't pop up the p0401 code but starts to pull the p0420 code again. I have a new map sensor and a whole new vacuum harness. Really getting feed up on this car. I also have both o2 sensors replaced.
What cat did you replace with? Some aftermarket cats will still throw the P0420 because the flow is a little greater than stock.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As Chibi said, P0420 with a non-OEM cat is common. Not just with these cars, but MANY manufacturers have this issue. It is commonly a result of how tight the EPA is squeezing auto-makers to meet various emissions criteria.

I would stick with the OEM EGR that is NOT causing the P0401. To my knowledge (and I am allowed to be wrong), the EGR and the P0420 codes are NOT related. You options are:
- Follow the GM diagnostic data and validate there is not a true problem elsewhere in the system (P0420 can be a bad wire, bad cat, bad O2 and some other items).
- Space the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. This is a common solution across many manufacturers of cars.
- Pay someone to delete the P0420 code from the PCM to never see it again.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- Pay someone to delete the P0420 code from the PCM to never see it again.
Ive supposedly had 3 PCMs that had this code deleted each several times...... ALWAYS comes back.

Is there a reason for this?? Ive had people straight up tell me that cant be true but..

Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Ive supposedly had 3 PCMs that had this code deleted each several times...... ALWAYS comes back.

Is there a reason for this?? Ive had people straight up tell me that cant be true but..
Best I can say, it was either not done or done wrong. I have a DHP PowrTuner and I've successfully removed codes.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 PM

15 Year Member

Probably just tuned wrong. They are probably turning off the code, but not telling the PCM to never report it.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Probably just tuned wrong. They are probably turning off the code, but not telling the PCM to never report it.
Ok and something else here... Could a PCM "lose" the timing advance it was supposed to have added and therefore revert to stock timing?? Am I wording that correctly??

Old 04-22-2018, 09:31 AM

15 Year Member

Ok and something else here... Could a PCM "lose" the timing advance it was supposed to have added and therefore revert to stock timing?? Am I wording that correctly??
No, however there are modifiers and other parameters that can alter the timing table. The timing table can't revert itself back, but knock can pull timing, higher intake temperatures can pull timing, etc.

Also if the high octane and low octane tables have different timing, your car could knock and revert to the low octane table. Normally though I just copy the high octane table into the low table, and then subtract a little timing just in case I need to use that table for whatever reason in the Monte.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
No, however there are modifiers and other parameters that can alter the timing table. The timing table can't revert itself back, but knock can pull timing, higher intake temperatures can pull timing, etc.

Also if the high octane and low octane tables have different timing, your car could knock and revert to the low octane table. Normally though I just copy the high octane table into the low table, and then subtract a little timing just in case I need to use that table for whatever reason in the Monte.
Oh yea man.. Something Ive been told by you guys a few times (obviously not exactly word for word but..).. Dont think your advice goes unheard..

Thank you tho.. As you may or may not know, I have this on going issue with my car and its driving me nuts....