Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

check engine light: insufficient air flow from air injection pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Default check engine light: insufficient air flow from air injection pump

hi guys. my check engine light came on a couple weeks ago and it read:

"insufficient air flow, air injection pump."

can't remember what the number was exactly, but i cleared it and now it came back a week later so i'm assuming it's the same thing. i want to take it to the dealer to get it checked out, but my question is should i re-install my factory intake system for warranty reasons? if the air pump is bad and needs to be replaced, it should be covered under warranty i'm thinking. the CAI intake shouldn't be the cause of this code so i should be able to leave it in, right?

I will probably drive with the light on for a while (til after the holidays) and see if it goes off, then take it in to get looked at. thanks everyone for your insight.

Drew

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM

If it were my car I would either visit the dealer or call the dealer service department with my warranty info and tell them what the code is and ask them if this is a warranty item and if so I would swap the intake back. Little bit of your work will save you a lot of money.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 PM

thanks, good idea. i found the number of the code:

P0411....Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected

now i can at least call and see if it's covered under the 100K powertrain warranty. i sure hope so! any other comments are welcomed!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing this is part of the emissions system, and I know that is covered.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would guess its covered Drew.

Personally, I would swap back the stock airbox. It only takes less than half an hour to swap out, and COULD save you money if they try and deny the warranty claim over your CAI. I think this is one of those situations where it probably does not matter, but you're better safe than sorry. When I fried my ECM with the Jet Chip, I swapped back to my stock airbox when I took it in, I didnt want them blaiming my CAI for the fried ECM...It literally took me less than 30min to swap out. And less than 30 min to swap back in the CAI once it was fixed.

BTW, once you get it fixed, let me know what exactly it was...I'm always curious.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
I'm guessing this is part of the emissions system, and I know that is covered.
yes it is an emissions system. it pumps air upstream of the cat to provide air/oxygen to light off the cat to more efficiently burn off the harmful greenhouse gases.

mike and others: yeah you make a good point, i'll swap back to the original intake. it's easy and good insurance. i called the dealer yesterday to get some insight on this problem and he said it could be a bad solenoid in the air pump, so i'll have to bring it in. he also said it could just be a blown fuse, but i checked and that wasn't it.

i asked if it would be covered under the 100k powertrain warranty (i have 48k so far) and he said most likely yes but he wasn't for sure since the service manager stepped out for the day. he's gonna call me back today to give me a definite answer. being an emissions system to keep the engine running correctly, i would THINK it would covered. i'll keep you all updated on what the outcome is. thanks for the comments!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:02 PM

That code is usually caused by the check valve in the air injection system. Over time the diafram in the valve wares out and becomes seized. The check valve is the bell shaped looking thing on the air injection pipe. I had this same code on my camaro. The check valve was only about $20.00 if I remember correctly.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by seawolf18
That code is usually caused by the check valve in the air injection system. Over time the diafram in the valve wares out and becomes seized. The check valve is the bell shaped looking thing on the air injection pipe. I had this same code on my camaro. The check valve was only about $20.00 if I remember correctly.
thanks seawolf. i do know what you're talking about. i have seen them before. thanks for the insight.

so i proceeded to put my stock intake back on today because i have an appt at the dealer tmrw. after i installed it, the check engine light went off. i don't think the two things are related. the light was on for exactly a week then shut off. my guess it that the ecu saw a certain amount of "key ons" without the problem so it shut the light off???

so another ? i have is should i still take it in to get looked at? can they pull up history codes or should i just save my money and call it good since the light is now off?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM

I think that the code should still be in the computers memory. For kicks I would take the car down to the local A/Z and have them put their obd2 code reader back on and see if the code will pull back up. If not GM has better OBD reading equipment but htey may charge you for the diagnosis. Check with them first.