Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Plz Help me figure this one out !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Default Plz Help me figure this one out !!!

EDIT, turned out to be the wheel bearing causing the noise
OK, So I peruzed all 65 pages in this section and of my two questions, 1 seems common and I think I know what direction to head in, the other I didn't see mentioned, but I think may be related,,, Here we go.
The paitent is a 2001 Monte with the 3.4 6cyl. Last week I changed the tranny fluid and filter, oil change ect,,, I noticed during test drives (it's a friends car) that whenever taking off from a stop and turning silmutaniosly the traction control would activate, I found this very starnge and she has noticed it now too, getting worse,, my searching leads me to believe I should check all the ABS wheel sensors for this, clean and grease the connectins ect,,, if that doesn't solve it, then wheel bearings/hubs?? is this correct??
Now the puzzleing one, she calls me on her way home from work and tells me the car is making a buzzing sound and comes by so I can hear it, when running in park there is nothng, once driving, after around 20mph the noise starts, the only thing I can think of to describe it is if you have ever heard the sound of a Lincoln town cars air bags, or the compressor I should say, it sounds just like that, it comes on @ 20 and continues to make the sound,, as you slow down you can really hear it and the noise slows some to then goes away, What on earth could this be, it is coming from the front of the car, Dash, firewall, maybe the engine compartment, She was driving and said she could feel a lite vibration in the throttle pedal, the brake isn't pulsating or anything like that. Any and all info is greatly appreciated, I am really puzzled by this sound, Only heard it from the back of a lincoln, not the front of a monte, lol......

Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Plz Help me figure this one out !!!

Sounds like an ABS problem, and the noise is probably the system working. You didn't say if you were from the north, but salt can be a problem in the speed sensors. My wife's '99 Silverado was recalled for this problem in the northern 13 states.
The speed sensors are part of the hub, and they are salty to replace. I replaced BOTH on my '01 SS LE. NAPA parts were $200+ea for best quality. Don't know about Auto Zone or elsewhere.
My bearings were bad. I hammered a railroad track too hard too often.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:04 PM

So is everything working fine now?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Replaced the drivers side hub today, turned out the reason the noise was so strange was that is wasn't the bearing at all, but the sensor built into the hub had broken causing the strange sound instead of the normal bearing grind sound. So after hub replacement yes all is well, tracton control no longer comes on for no reason and she drives smooth and quiet again,, thanks for the input though!!