Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Please help me figure out what's wrong with my 2001 MC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Default Please help me figure out what's wrong with my 2001 MC!!!

My 2001 Monte Carlo is giving me the worst trouble. It takes me on average 30-40 minutes to start my car every morning. When I first put the key in the ignition, only the PRND will show on my dash then eventually every light on my dash comes on including my security light. When I actually try to start the car there's like a shuffling noise. It starts when ever it feels like it and I have to quickly flick the ignition in order to turn the car on. Once in a while the car will actually shut off in the middle of me driving it.

Now last summer( 2012), I was having the same issue and I got the ignition replaced. It was fine for a while but after about 5 months, I noticed that instead of turning the key to the to the right in the on position and the car automatically starting, I would have to start flicking the ignition again. I don't know if I should replace the ignition again or if it's something else giving the car trouble. Please help! My baby has to get me through the cold michigan winter!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jonesy
My 2001 Monte Carlo is giving me the worst trouble. It takes me on average 30-40 minutes to start my car every morning. When I first put the key in the ignition, only the PRND will show on my dash then eventually every light on my dash comes on including my security light. When I actually try to start the car there's like a shuffling noise. It starts when ever it feels like it and I have to quickly flick the ignition in order to turn the car on. Once in a while the car will actually shut off in the middle of me driving it.

Now last summer( 2012), I was having the same issue and I got the ignition replaced. It was fine for a while but after about 5 months, I noticed that instead of turning the key to the to the right in the on position and the car automatically starting, I would have to start flicking the ignition again. I don't know if I should replace the ignition again or if it's something else giving the car trouble. Please help! My baby has to get me through the cold michigan winter!
Check the ignition relay, it may be wearing down and only responding to the higher voltages. And dis-engaging after a short time. I don't know if this is a monte problem but I know relays like this can wear down.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed I would check all fuses and relays and then see if you can connect a scanner for codes. You couldbalso have something going on with the pcm