Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oxy Acetylene or Arc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Default RE: Oxy Acetylene or Arc?

ORIGINAL: SoCalSS

I don't know d*ck about welding, so which is better for a set of sway bar brackets? I was told that the welded ones are stronger than machined, but what kind of welding would be best for this application?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]
I use mig, tig, and flux core. for the brackets, i would use Mig because the Oxygen gives better heat transfer...

Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

first off please keep me out of this argument I have delt with him and his attitude before and dont want to wast my tiem doing it again.

but i will say one thing on this

04 you are just standing there sitring the pot all the time .

now there are times i have agreed with you and not with you

But the comment about a mans military carrer was one i defently do not agree with at all.
unless you have been in the service i would back off that one. it is not even close to being cool to start on that one in the borad or any other. you can have your own opion just dont put it out here for all to read on that subject.

i have said my peice
kicking soap box to the corner for the next time/
Keep you out of the argument? You jumped in headfirst!

I swear either you and warpath are brothers or one in the same cause you both share the idiot gene.

The comment I made to your brother was in reference to his lack of common sense and overall stupidity, the field in which he was in is irrelevant cause my opinion would be the same in any field in which the stakes are so high and such an idiot was involved in any way, shape or form. So get your politically correct panties out of a bunch and get back to swingin' on his sack.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Photobucket

So here I stand with my thumb up my butt..... MIG, TIG, FLUX CORE, welding clay????? better heat distribution? All sounds good to me. What I'm wondering... is which one is going to be stronger so that when I corner at 90 MPH my brackets won't pop off fly somewhere bad, like.....into my friggin gas tank or something.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 AM

ORIGINAL: SoCalSS

So here I stand with my thumb up my butt..... MIG, TIG, FLUX CORE, welding clay????? better heat distribution? All sounds good to me. What I'm wondering... is which one is going to be stronger so that when I corner at 90 MPH my brackets won't pop off fly somewhere bad, like.....into my friggin gas tank or something.
hey, what you do w/your thumbs is your business, no need to share[8D]

Sounds like a few folks here know a lil something about welding and the consensus seems to be MIG.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Well if you want the strongest than that would be TIG, but it's also more expensive and slighty harder to do. But in all honesty if the MIG is setup right(voltage and wire speed)it'll be plenty strong. Trust me, if it's good enough for rollcages it's good enough for a bracket.

I give answers and answers only when I'm tired.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:40 PM

I use to be able to stick weld way back when. I am sure I would cause a ton of burn throughs learning it all over again.

TVW

Old 12-03-2006, 12:55 AM

oxy acetylene is for cuttin and learning how to weld. use a tight mig or a tig weld there the best...the as what ud us for a header or turbo manifold..

Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Wow did this get taken from the graveyard!!!

Last post: Date 7/1/2005 1:40:34 PM

Old 12-04-2006, 01:39 PM

OK - my 2 cents. I am not a welder, but I work with welders every day, welding everything imaginable, from thin sheetmetal to extra heavy wall pipe to thick steel plate. The only welding to use on a vehicle is MIG or TIG, with MIG being the most common. It is also very easy to learn to do. Main reason to use it is it doesn't produce the widespread heat like stick rod and is a very strong weld. So, go with the MIG. If you plan on doing more welding, buy a MIG welder and just start welding with it. You'll be surprised how easy it is. If you need to cut metal on your car, go with a cutoff wheel and not the oxy/acetylene. If you use oxy/acetylene the cut will look like an allegator bit the metal off and be hell to repair.

I have bought SLP sway bars for my car 2 months ago but haven't even opened the box yet. I just haven't had time to get them installed. I hope they came with brackets and poly bushings!

Another comment - we are here to share our love and knowledge of MC's. Thats it. I too have trouble reading some of Mickey's posts, but I can tell you I've learned alot about MC's from him. We all have things we battle, some are just more visible than others. Hang in there Mickey and keep those posts coming. I value your opinion and knowledge. Sounds like some of 04's posts about Mickey are just joking with him, but if both parties don't enjoy the joke then drop it.

And good to hear from you TVW!

Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: rchurch

Sounds like some of 04's posts
I had to stop for a second on this one. That portion of the topic has been cleared up between 04MonteLS and mickey. My username also has 04 and I didn't want to get dragged into that.