Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oxy Acetylene or Arc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Photobucket
Default Oxy Acetylene or Arc?

I don't know d*ck about welding, so which is better for a set of sway bar brackets? I was told that the welded ones are stronger than machined, but what kind of welding would be best for this application?

Old 06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Oxy Acetylene or Arc?

I'd suggest Arc welding as the heat affected zone is smaller and the welds are smoother.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

I'd suggest Arc welding as the heat affected zone is smaller and the welds are smoother.
Still don't get it.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:11 AM

ORIGINAL: SoCalSS

Still don't get it.
The question was what method would be better for the application, I answered.

If you want to be schooled on welding, I'd suggest doing a google search on the subject cause I don't have the knowledge or time to make you understand.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Photobucket

Still don't get it.
The question was what method would be better for the application, I answered.

If you want to be schooled on welding, I'd suggest doing a google search on the subject cause I don't have the knowledge or time to make you understand.

LMAO! ahha hahahhaa

Old 06-14-2005, 03:50 AM

LMAO! ahha hahahhaa
Real talk.

I'm just as green behind the ears as you when it comes to welding.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:29 AM

welding 101

If yo have a arc welder then go get teh mig attachment for it then make sre it stays where you put it
lso use some heat sink clay and pack the area so that yo suck that heat out of there you dont want to destroy the metal harness in that area by getting it to hot and taking the temper out of it

Now in a pinch you could use your arc welder just pack it with the clay and weld fast.
but all three will hold them in place
oxy/acetylene is a slower weld soit makes more heat and cuses more warpage tot eh metal and also can take the temper out of the metal faster

Arc welding is a faster weld so you can add th heat to wqeld it in and get in and out fast to allow les damage from the heat

MIG puts the heat right where ya need it and will weld and penitrate he metal faster and better then any of the other two will

good luck

Old 06-14-2005, 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

welding 101

If yo have a arc welder then go get teh mig attachment for it then make sre it stays where you put it
lso use some heat sink clay and pack the area so that yo suck that heat out of there you dont want to destroy the metal harness in that area by getting it to hot and taking the temper out of it

Now in a pinch you could use your arc welder just pack it with the clay and weld fast.
but all three will hold them in place
oxy/acetylene is a slower weld soit makes more heat and cuses more warpage tot eh metal and also can take the temper out of the metal faster

Arc welding is a faster weld so you can add th heat to wqeld it in and get in and out fast to allow les damage from the heat

MIG puts the heat right where ya need it and will weld and penitrate he metal faster and better then any of the other two will

good luck
you need spelling 101

Old 06-14-2005, 04:49 AM

please forgive me for not being perfect like your self.

some of us have a reason for wha tthey do or how they do it.
but i guess you cant seem to over look that.

or can you?

Old 06-14-2005, 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

please forgive me for not being perfect like your self.

some of us have a reason for wha tthey do or how they do it.
but i guess you cant seem to over look that.

or can you?
you are way too sensitive