Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions Needed For Parts (Wheel Hub + Lower Control Arm)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Default Opinions Needed For Parts (Wheel Hub + Lower Control Arm)

Hey MCF I could use a little help. So just recently I took my car to my local Chevy dealer to see if they could help me find out which side one of my wheels hubs was going bad on (ended up bring the left front) and after they had finished they also let me know that both of my front lower control arm bushings were awful. Both of these together they quoted me $326.64 for the wheel hub and $291.86 for the lower control arms. Obviously this is a bit high compared to the far lower price of doing it at home.

So this is where the dilemma comes in. Which brands would you guys recommend when I go and buy the parts? I have done some researching here on the forum and many have recommended Tompkins (or something along those lines) but when looking for them online they only make the non ABS version of the hub. Am I just blind? Any recommendations and links would be greatly appreciated

As a side note my monte is an 04, but it only has 53,000 miles on it. Are these parts going bad common among these vehicles just due to age alone? I'm thinking my laps around watkins glen are what finally made the hub and lower control arms go

Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From my experiences, Timken is the way to go. Best place I've found to get them is RockAuto. Here is the part number for the '04: 513179

As for lower control arms, not sure, have yet to replace a w-body lower control arm.

Now if you are talking the stabilizer end links (that connect the sway bar to the control arm), those fail on all cars eventually. The factory bushings are rubber and eventually age gets to them.

As for the wheel bearings, the factory ones do go bad. Normally closer to 100K miles from my experience. But, age can affect anything.
The

Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
From my experiences, Timken is the way to go. Best place I've found to get them is RockAuto. Here is the part number for the '04: 513179

As for lower control arms, not sure, have yet to replace a w-body lower control arm.

Now if you are talking the stabilizer end links (that connect the sway bar to the control arm), those fail on all cars eventually. The factory bushings are rubber and eventually age gets to them.

As for the wheel bearings, the factory ones do go bad. Normally closer to 100K miles from my experience. But, age can affect anything.
The
Thanks for the info!

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

everyone i know uses the moog problem solver lower control arms, they say that the moog control arms have better bushings then factory ones. i second timken bearings.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:23 PM

wheel bearings are super easy to replace, and well, I found a SET/PAIR on ebay for $50 shipped with a lifetime warranty... company called "prime choice" they were better than the ones I bought before I found those ones from o'reilly autoparts, and these have a lifetime warranty... others including Timken are what, 1-3 years at best? Also they have a customer service line that you can call (which I have) and people answer the phone!?! So, my 2cents... that's what I went with on two cars now, and the only problems I've had has been with the autoparts store parts...