Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): P0102 code light OFF but code still reads

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:37 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default P0102 code light OFF but code still reads

P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

2001 Monte Carlo SS

So after swapping out the MAF Sensor from another same year Monte the light on mine has now turned off on it's own after only driving it for a little bit. But when I go to check for any error codes (I need to get this thing past a safety) the P0102 code still triggers. Do I need to clear it then it will be all good? Thought by the light going off that it would clear the code too.

As of now I have no check engine lights on my dash anymore, all have been cleared except this one code that still pops on the code reader.

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Depends what the code reader is reading. The computer has different storages for trouble codes.
If the light is on, then you have an active code.
If the light is off, you could have a pending code (failed it's diagnostic, but not enough yet to activate the light) or a history code (one that failed, activated the light but is no longer active). You could also have a light out on the cluster (does the check engine light activate when you start the car)?

If you clear the codes, you would then have to drive around for the readiness monitors to reset or keep driving and see if the code clears the history after enough drive cycles.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:23 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I'm going to have to clear it and wait it out. The light does work so it's not that, just not sure if it's a history code or minor failed diagnostic.

Thanks for the input! : )