Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): ok before and after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ok before and after oil change

Before I did the oil I had low oil light come on and went away I checked the oil when I seen it pop on and then off. When I changed the oil it did it again after I changed the oil and made sure there were no leaks. it stays on and it is frustrating because I took off of the oil cap and felt oil splashing on my hand when I had it on the oil cap hole. Also when it was at a higher rpm around 1100 rpms had my dad goose it a little to see if it still stayed the same or increased oil on my hand which it did increased. I am thinking it is a bad oil sending unit. I admit I went over 3k on the oil change and I know it shouldn't have done that.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's a low oil light coming on and you check the dipstick properly (take out, clean it, put in, pull it out and see what level the holes have oil filling them) and it shows you're good to go, you may have a failed oil level sensor I believe that one is always in the oil pan).

BUT, if it's stating low oil pressure, that can be a clog in the system (very bad, but sounds like it may not be your issue based on the fact oil is getting to the heads, but that could be old oil too). Or it could be a failed oil pressure switch/sending unit (depends what your Monte is equipped with). If it's oil pressure, get the issue resolve ASAP (oil starvation is and engine killer).

If it's a oil level switch, get it changed soon so that oil indicator means something again.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I followed the oil level sensor wires I notices a crack in one of the wires insolation that would bump the block. I ended up cutting it to slid shrink rap around it and also one of the rubber hoses as well to prevent rubbing again. when I restarted the car it showed low oil pressure as well I ended up replacing it just to see what it would do. No more errors. but when I check the oil it shows oil on the stick. I am guessing that the oil pressure/sending unit it seemed that it went bad because I have been driving it. For a week no more errors sorry for the late reply. I ended up flushing the whole engine out to see if there was any gunk build up in the oil. Granted I did the oil twice but I rather make sure if it is going to be sound. Also it gave me a chance to flush the radiator as well. At least I am glad that it has no errors for the oil