Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil in coolant tank?? What could be the problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by wiz kidd
i really hope they used the improved gaskets from fel pro that fix the problem with the metal inserts, even dorman is making a kit now too with the metal inserts and it comes with bolts as well

i dont see it coming from the timing cover, i think they've screwed something up, is this a trustworthy shop?? i've heard of some shops saying they do the work but dont...it would scare me that they screwed up...or maybe they just didn't do it right

that sounds like a lot of money to me for that job, there's guyz up here that do it for 500 including parts & labor, and there people i'd trust
they also put in a new coolant level sensor/thermostat/valve cover gaskets/upper and lower intake.plenium gaskets b/g flush. every thing listed above.a had two quotes for just the upper and lower intake .flush and gaskets were close to 1000 .the mechanic that works on are cars /trucks.for over years.we trust him.the total was 770 plus tax 828 that is not to bad of a deal around here anyway.did some reserch on the prices for this work to be done.they were atleast 150 higher.plus the new gasketst were the new and improved as you mentioned.plus he guaranties his work

Last edited by dominic; 05-13-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM

hey dom, should I have all that replaced like you did just to be sure??? im waiting now for this guy I really trust to tell me where to go will get a response in a couple days.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Hey can all this plus bad wheel alignment lead to poor gas mileage? My sensor im assuming doesnt work any more in my car, but my fuel pump works so no need in dropping the tank.

Im just getting poor gas distance.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a head gasket to me......

It certainly is not helping your gas milage....

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I had the LIM gasket problem on my Grand Am, they found oil in the radiator, and coolant in the engine.

So if you're getting coolant in the engine (mixed with the oil), I would think that would affect your engine performance and gas mileage.

When I had the work done on my GA, it cost me $1200. They had to completely drain the coolant system and engine oil. Replace the bad gasket. Then completely flush the coolant system and the engine to make sure there was no contamination to the new fluids by the old fluids.

I'm with the others though. Probably your head gasket.

A bad wheel alignment would be obvious with uneven tire wear. It certainly wouldn't help your gas mileage if your wheels were out of alignment.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 PM

What engine is it? I'm a mechanic and we ran into a similar problem with a 3.1L in a 99 Buick Century. We were kinda scratching our heads. We talked to our machine shop to see if they've seen this problem and they said that they've seen a lot of these with cracked heads or blocks as well as bad head gaskets that would cause this problem. We ended up putting a used engine in because it was actually cheaper then doing a head gasket and/or heads and it eliminated guessing or wasted time if the block was indeed cracked. I think the engine was $100 from the bone yard our cost and took me less then 10 hrs to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Sorry so late in the reply but its a 1999 monte carlo with the 3.1L. Yeah im getting a hookup for $400 including parts. Im getting the head gasket, intake gasket, and timing cover gasket replaced. He is also gonna drain oil and coolant. That will all happen 2 weeks from thursday.

This thursday im gonna get my tranny flushed and my wheels aligned. And get 2 new/used tires for the front.

While the engine is this far apart are there any other common parts that go wrong with this engine that I can go ahead and replace??