Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Coolant problem, thinking it could be the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Default Coolant problem, thinking it could be the water pump?

(Sorry this is long)
let me ask you fellow monte car lovers, do you think having a bad water pump could make coolant shoot up where the radiator fans are? ive been having coolant problems since i got the car and didnt know it was the coolant until the first winter in 07 when my car wouldnt get warm until the car was in motion. found this out by a advanced autoparts guy. then it wasnt a bad leak because i never saw coolant or smelt coolant. about the summer of 08 when me and my buddy was racing on the highway(yea i know!), i heard a loud pop and my temp level started to climb. when i got off, i checked the car but didnt know what the hell i was looking for so i thought everything was ok. now im having bad coolant problems. im thinking its either the water pump now, or the intake manifold gaskets. i really need some professional help from you guys

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM

im also thinking its the intake manifold because im getting a milky diposit in the coolant and my recovery tank looks black. if you guys need pics, i will post them up if they could help you help me solve the problems. id be really greatful!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

16 people viewed but no help?!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM

Ive only had my Monte sense Feb, but my temp was acting funny took it in they said it was thermostat.... They replaced.... 3 days later water neck cracked.... replace... Then for some reason while i was driving heard a loud pop.... then nothing.... temp acted funny but nothing serious. Got home checked coolent....was still orange but look funny, almost like a bit of dirt or some other debri was mixed..... (So my monkey self continued to drive it) Turns out the water pump totally exploded messing up everything.... had to replace the water pump,water neck/ thermostat.... and flush the hell out of my radiator to get everything out. So in my opinion i think it is possible for a water pump to cause pressure issues... Like forcing coolent out places it shouldnt come out of... lol for my system it decided forcing a hole out of the water neck was always the best. If you had an intake gasket failure i would think your oil would be funny looking as well *chocolate milk in color*

Last edited by MonteNoob; 04-15-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 AM

thanks for the reply,see thats also what i was thinking it could be. how did you know it was the water pump? thats another thing, my coolant had a little bit milky foam which had me thinking it could also be a manifold gasket. im to confused and dont have the money to go get it checked out nor fixed really.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by sonin66
16 people viewed but no help?!

Lol `Chirs, I guess they didn't know like me : )
Sometimes it's very difficult to post a solution by
just reading a member's words, and not being there to inspect.
Below are some links that may give you more knowledge
on the subject. I am just a self taught BackBeach Mechanic,
but I sure learn a lot from the Web & on the MCF
Good Luck on resolving your `prob.
Hope the below helps some

<LI about="r10">19 How do I know whether my water pump is going bad?

19 How do I know whether my water pump is going bad? A: Obviously if it starts to leak either through the pump half seam or the bearing (the little hole on ...
stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/vw-technical/19-How-d... - 25k - Similar pages
http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/vw...going-bad.html
<LI about="r10">
<LI about="r11">Car Water Pump Questions and Answers

My question is did they have to change the water pump to know if it was the head gasket? And could they have told right away by checking if there was water ...
www.2carpros.com/topics/h2opump.htm - 46k - Similar pages
http://www.2carpros.com/topics/h2opump.htm
<LI about="r11">
<LI about="r12">How to tell if water pump is bad (Merlin?) - Automotive ...

Can anyone tell me if this is true or if there is someway to test to see if the water pump is bad? Please help ...
www.automotivehelper.com/topic178955.htm - 27k - Similar pages
<LI about="r12">
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic178955.htm
<LI about="r13">How to Tell if a Car's Water Pump Needs Replacement | eHow.com

How to Know If a Water Pump Is Bad · How to Remove & Replace a ... If you are unsure, ask your mechanic to point out the water pump pulley. ...
www.ehow.com/how_7679_tell-cars-water.html - 67k - Similar pages
http://www.ehow.com/how_7679_tell-cars-water.html
<LI about="r13">
<LI about="r14">WikiAnswers - How do you know if water pump is bad even if ...

Heating AC and Engine Cooling question: How do you know if water pump is bad even if it's not leaking? A loose or broken impeller will make a rattling noise ...
wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_know_if_water_pump... - 46k - Similar pages

Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM

lol serously, i do that sometimes to so i cant be mad! thanks for the links 'Space, im a little nervous about diagnoising my own problems and mos def not nowing how to work on my own car. my father always taught me about brakes and stuff but never the main engine components.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When i see coolant problems, usually it's the usual, air in the system or thermostat is broken, stuck closed.

I don't know why coolant would be shooting at your fans. Unless a hose is pierced?

Or i'm just not reading this whole thing right haha

Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM

im not exactly sure if coolant is shooting at my fans, ill post a pic

this is where i saw some coolant. it looked like it was dripping from there thats why i thought it was maybe coming from it or got sprayed and then dripped down. what is this port for?