Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil in coolant tank?? What could be the problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Default Oil in coolant tank?? What could be the problem

Recently had the lower intake manifold replaced, because of a coolant leak. Then they are telling me now that my timing cover gasket needs to be replaced cause thats where its leaking from now. I decided to wait because they want another $550 when I just gave them $755 to fix the lower intake manifold. Now today I go to check on my coolant level and my coolant isnt green anymore its black. I take a piece of paper and stick it down there and sure enough its oil, thick!! I was wondering if anyone here knows what could be the culprit of that problem, so I know what to do about my monte carlo it just rolled 200,000 miles today

1999 Monte Carlo LS

Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM

It could be a head gasket.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 PM

head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

well it could be from when they did the intake job, they didn't clean the system out, i would suggest making sure there's been a flush, i would hope so after doing the intake manifold, but its not going to be the timing cover, it will be the head gasket, which they have to retake that intake all apart to do the head...its an even bigger job, which they really should have just done in the first place

Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM

when you had your lower intake done.
why did they not do the upper intake also.while they had everything apart.they should of put new head gaskets on . labor intesive.did they flush your system.got some prices here on this work if you need them.
just had this all done
dominic

Last edited by dominic; 05-12-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by wiz kidd
well it could be from when they did the intake job, they didn't clean the system out, i would suggest making sure there's been a flush, i would hope so after doing the intake manifold, but its not going to be the timing cover, it will be the head gasket, which they have to retake that intake all apart to do the head...its an even bigger job, which they really should have just done in the first place
just had all this done at the same time 830 dollars

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 PM

$830 dollars for real? hmmm guess im gonna have to pay it, yeah they did a flush. Well other than sinking another grand basically into my car its a fine running car except for the head gasket thing.

Yeah price quotes would be nice im gonna need to find a good non rip off service place here in michigan.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't they make a metal headgasket as a replacement, that won't leak?

I'd look into getting that to replace the one you have so you don't deal with this again.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Default cost breakdown

Originally Posted by carajean
$830 dollars for real? hmmm guess im gonna have to pay it, yeah they did a flush. Well other than sinking another grand basically into my car its a fine running car except for the head gasket thing.

Yeah price quotes would be nice im gonna need to find a good non rip off service place here in michigan.
replace upper and lower intakes maniflod and gaskets and all related gaskets,thermostat valve cover gaskets--bg flush combine labor.$425
check and replace coolant level sensor$25
oem intakes gasket set68.08
upper plenium gasket set 37.52
valve cover gaskets22.81
oem thermostat 16.84
coolant pipe and seal x25
coolant level sensor 68
universal green coolant 13
208bg44k fuel system cleaner22
motor oil filter change 25
all together with tax and labor came to$828.67

Last edited by dominic; 05-13-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i really hope they used the improved gaskets from fel pro that fix the problem with the metal inserts, even dorman is making a kit now too with the metal inserts and it comes with bolts as well

i dont see it coming from the timing cover, i think they've screwed something up, is this a trustworthy shop?? i've heard of some shops saying they do the work but dont...it would scare me that they screwed up...or maybe they just didn't do it right

that sounds like a lot of money to me for that job, there's guyz up here that do it for 500 including parts & labor, and there people i'd trust

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant tank?? What could be the problem