Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Spark Plugs/Wires Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Question New Spark Plugs/Wires Misfire

Hello fellow Monte Carlo drivers. I have been creeping this forum for sometime using all of your wisdom in my car repairs. A lot of the information here is very helpful so here I am with a problem, once again looking for your help.

I just changed the spark plugs and wires in my 2001 Monte Carlo LS. I used AC Delco plugs OEM part#41940. I was going to use AC Delco wires but the parts store didn't have them so I used Autolites Professional from Advance Auto Parts.

After going through the process of ratcheting the engine forward and performing the swap of old to new. I double checked my work as I went. After completing everything I assembled and started the car.

It starts. At this time it is a rough idle and then dies. So I go back and check all the plugs to make sure everything is snug. Everything looks okay. Start again and press on the gas. Without providing more fuel, engine dies.

I disassembled everything once more to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Tighten down spark plugs guaranteeing they are snug. Snap wires in place. Same issue.

I disassembled once more. This time I cleaned all the connectors thoroughly with contact cleaner. They were pretty clean before but I did this just for the hell of it. Took out spark plugs, clean them and checked them before putting them back in. Once this was complete I started the car. Now I have a higher RPM at start and then it struggles and fluctuates idle.

After calling advance auto parts they don't seem thrilled to exchange wires or plugs without hooking up to check codes. I'll deal with that as it comes. As of now I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

>>I do believe I have an issue that may apply to this situation but I am not sure. As I was changing the plugs I was careful not to harm anything else. But I have noticed a hose off the top of the engine block that leads to nowhere. I will highlight in this picture the one I'm talking about. I can't find where it should connect and even in a picture I looked up it in fact, leads to nowhere.

Pic (please disregard the arrows)

As you can see there is a hose to the left that is making its way towards the DOT3. It doesn't look connected to anything to me, though it leans against DOT3.

Could someone also please identify it's purpose and where it should be connected if anywhere.

TL;DR ....help

Thank you!

UpStart

Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I may be wrong since I am not as familiar with the 3100 as I am with the 3800 but that looks like your brake booster vacuum line. if that is the hose you are talking about. To Check, with the engine running, put your finger over to open end of the hose. If your idle smooth's out then that's what it is. Look on your brake booster for a White fitting. At least it's been white on the cars I have worked on. Plug the hose back up and you should be good to go!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Thank for the quick reply JC Colon!

I looked where you were referring to and I saw this:

On my car it is a yellowish color and I didn't consider it an option for that hose to attach to since it was pointed in a different direction. Turns out it rotates. So I spun it around and made the connection. Perfect! I guess I didn't realize I disconnected it when I was fight spark plug boots.

Last time I tried starting the car the RPM's were very high and didn't come down. So my idle is definitely messed up. I contacted a different Advanced Auto Parts and they said they would exchange my plugs and wires to rule them out.

Tomorrow I may be at it again.

I'm weary to try and start the car again due to it having high RPM's on idle, plus I'm exhausted from getting too intimate with my car.

Do you believe that connecting the hose to this fitting should resolve the issue of unusual idle?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM

Well thanks again JC Colon.

I decided F it and started the car.

Perfect idle. Car runs great with new plugs and wires. You have carried on the tradition of this forum helping me. I'm actually going to go and see how it drives.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad I could help. Enjoy and Sage Driving!