Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spark Plugs and Wires

So, in the near future im thinking of swapping out my plugs and wires for ones that'll give my 3.4 extra pep when I open her up. So before I go and buy the stuff I want, is there anything I should know before changing the set? Besides, loosing up the front dogbones and rocking it forward, etc lol. I was thinking of NGK Iridium Plugs, and MSD wires.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

don't waste your money, stay stock all the way, trust me! the below quote is the best info you will get....

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you have a stock car, you need the stock plugs. You won't be getting gains from plugs.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 AM

If you do go with new plugs though, you dont need to rock the engine, I didnt have to and I had NO problem at all getting the job done. And might I recommend, make sure you use a spark plug socket. You dont wanna go cracking a plug. I made that mistake.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Just buy OEM pulgs and wires. You are not going to gain anything by putting in aftermarket plugs. If anything it will run better on new OEM plugs.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Sorry to go and steal this thread, but could somone help me out real quick? Would i gain anything by using "colder spark plugs"?? And what exactly are colder spark plugs, what is the point of them?? Could I benefit? Thanks and sorry again, I dont wanna start a new thread since I can hijack this one right?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Mike, You should keep the OEM plugs in your Monte too. Your Monte is not modded to the extent that a colder plug will do anything for you. In highly modded, mainly boosted engines, a colder plug will help to reduce KR.

In your Monte, you are not boosted, or modded to the point of having high KR issues. Running a colder plug could just cause the plug to foul, and your car to run LESS efficiently.

As a note to everyone with mild mods, or stock engines...the factory picked the temp/ type of plug for your car because it created the best performance/ fuel efficiency, etc, etc...Do not mess with this. Unless you have a heavily modded engine, boosted for example, their is no need to be messing with spark plugs. If you are noticing your car not running at its best, change the plugs/ wires with new OEM parts, and I bet it will run great!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM

I totally agree- if you're close to 100k miles; then go buy OEM replacement plugs and wires and be done with it. No performance to be gained with fancy wires and such.

Would i gain anything by using "colder spark plugs"?? And what exactly are colder spark plugs, what is the point of them??
No, no benefit for you. Colder just means the plug tip to plug body distance is shorter- meaning it can get rid of heat quicker. The thing is, there is an optimal temperature the tip needs to be at- go too cold on the plug's heat range, and the tip will run too much colder than stock, and won't properly burn off deposits, and you'll foul it out much quicker.

Honestly, on an NA engine, it takes quite a few mods before you even have to be considering stepping down even a single heat range.

As a note to everyone with mild mods, or stock engines...the factory picked the temp/ type of plug for your car because it created the best performance/ fuel efficiency, etc, etc...Do not mess with this. Unless you have a heavily modded engine, boosted for example, their is no need to be messing with spark plugs. If you are noticing your car not running at its best, change the plugs/ wires with new OEM parts, and I bet it will run great!
Only exception to this are those with the L67/L32- even basic bolt ons (3.4" pulley, rockers, intake, DP, etc) are good to step down a heat range from stock. With a boosted engine, it takes fewer mods to make large power changes- and with that- you need to step down heat range as well to match.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Great guys, thanks alot.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Thank guys, I really appreciate the help. I'll just stick to stock plugs. lol nice thread jacking there wht02monte haha jk =P

Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM

the only time i noticed when some one has used colder plugs is when they had to do head work as well. when they had to take some of the matereal off of the head also when they did a port and polish as well. if it is not a mod or have had matereal taken off of the heads go with the type thats in the normal heat range.