Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Spark Plugs / Wires - Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Default Spark Plugs / Wires - Recommendation?

Hello,

Still have my Monte 04 w/ now 109,000 and feel like need to change the spark plugs soon. Taking alittle longer to start and just doesn't seem to have the umph it did.

Anyone make any recommendations on good plugs to put in it and should I put new wires on it as well?

I wanna do it by myself so how hard is it to change the plugs in a 3.8L 04 Monte.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 AM
Default RE: Spark Plugs / Wires - Recommendation?

[align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `John,[/align][align=center]If you have 109K on OEM Wires, I would consider[/align][align=center]replacing with OEM.[/align][align=center]The rear plugs can be difficult to get to.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I hope the below information gives you some idea`s on[/align][align=center]what to choose. I am sure that other members will[/align][align=center]also make suggestions. Good Luck & Happy Safe miles.[/align][align=center]
Spark Plug - Replacement Spark Plugs[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]
[/align]
Why do you need to replace your spark plugs?
[align=center]Spark plugs are one of the most important yet under estimated parts in your engine. The spark plug is responsible for setting off the air/fuel mixture that allows your car to produce horsepower and torque. The more efficient the spark plug, the cleaner the burn, and the most mixture burned, will result in increased horsepower, fuel economy, reduced emissions, and a smoother running engine. Over time, cars that might have a dirty air filter, live in dusty conditions, or car naturally runs rich, the spark plug could get fouled, and slowly reduce performance. We recommend replacing your spark plug at least every 30,000, but checking it every 15,000 miles.

[/align]

How hard is it to replace spark plugs?
[align=center]There is almost no easier tune up than changing your spark plugs, especially on a 4 cylinder engine. The spark plugs are located on top of the engine (unless if you have a Subaru, then the boxer engine design has the spark plugs on the sides). First, remove your spark plug cover. Next, remove your spark plug wires. Once you remove the spark plug wires, you will see the tips of the spark plugs deep in the spark plug well. Use a spark plug socket (you can pick one up at your local auto parts store), and remove a spark plug. Once it's out, examine it. If the body has oil above the threads, you have a leaking spark plug seal, and should get it replaced. This seal prevents oil from the valve cover to seep into the spark plug well. Next, refer to your owners manual for proper spark plug gap. Most new spark plugs come pre gapped, so you can just install the reverse of the removal. There is a way to read the spark plugs to see how your engine is behaving. For most people who do not modify their car, this might not be necessary.

[/align]

NGK Spark Plugs
[align=center]NGK is one of the largest manufactures of spark plugs in the world. NGK has used precious medals such as iridium to produce a spark plug that requires less voltage to spark, or ignite, and increases horsepower by burning the mixture more completely. There are also platinum spark plugs that has similar properties, and are designed to be more efficient.

[/align]

Denso Spark Plugs
[align=center]Denso spark plugs are one of the world's best, and we carry their full line. Denso's iridium spark plug can withstand up to 4000 degrees without melting. Denso also has a U Groove technology which helps direct spark. Their double platinum spark plugs intensify the spark to ignite the mixture efficiently.

[/align]

Bosch Spark Plugs
[align=center]Bosch has etched its mark in the Spark Plug industry with it's Platinum + 2 and Platinum + 4 spark plugs which up the ante with spark plug technology. Used by many automotive manufactures in both cars and trucks as factory equipment, we are proud to carry the full Bosch line as performance replacement spark plugs.

[/align]

Do you carry any other spark plugs?
[align=center]Check our catalog above for our full listing. Mainly we carry NGK, Denso, and Bosch as our main brands, since we believe these to be the best. However, for particular applications, we also carry AC Delco, Champion, Autolite and Splitfire.

[/align]

[align=center]Click below link for Source[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.statracing.com/replacement/sparkplug.asp[/align]

Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 AM

Hi John,
I found the below information ona web search.
Has any member done it this way ?
Please post.
John, I hope the below gives you some information
that you can use tuning `up your Monte.
Good Luck, Be Safe working on your car.
[align=center]How to install plugs in your Monte[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
Things you will Need. 1.Spark Plug Socket with the rubber insert.I used a T-Handle. 2.Spark Plug Wire-boot puller,Longer necked version. 3.Gap Gage. 4.Floor Jack. 5.Anti-seige Compound. 6.Racket stap 7. Wet vac,slim nossle.
Let Engine cool down!! First block Back tires. Place the car in nuetral. Disconnect the Negative Terminal on the Battery Position Floor jack under motor,have a 12-16 " 2x4 piece of wood.Leftjack up until about 4" from bottom of motor. Disconnect air intake hose. Place racket strap hook through eye hole of front motor Bracket.Have other end of racket strap fasten to some solid. Loosen and remove front motor brackets. Tight the racket strap up until eye let / or slave hole is line up with exsisting bolt hole for motor mount. Some folks use a crow bar on passageer side,motor mounts. to lift engine forward. (In addition some vehecle has a Slave hole that will enable you to place the bracket bolt though.With this there is no need for you racket strap). Be careful not to move to far foward. Snug the flooor jack up against the motor.Just to where the 2x4 touches . This just a pre-caution in case the motor drops back. Starting with the fist plug wire on the passenger side (Plug 1) use your boot puller tool to rmove the boot. Turning left and right and pulling up on the boot. You may want to use a the wet vac to remove any loose particuls Rmove Spark plug.Vacuum again if needed. Put anti-seige on the threads of your new plug making sure you donnot get any on your conductor ends.Place in new plug making sure you donnot cross thread. There is a torque spec. for this.
With new plug wires make sure of your length to match the old plug wires length. Same procedure for the next plugs in back. Do plugs and or plug wires one at a time.
Once completed with the back check and make sure no vacuum lines have become disconnected. Using crow bar on passenger side hold forward (Bolt throught he hole of the engine bracket) Undo your rachet strap. Go to floor jack and let the engine slowly until the brack holes line up.Place in the engine bracket on drivers side and tighten. Leaving the passenger side bracket of will help when working on the front plugs. The front is much easier to replace. After replacing the front ,reconnected the passenger engine bracket (mount). Reconnect the air intake hose,and battery terminal. For other assistance you could go to a local auto parts dealer and buy the Maintence manual for Monte Carlo. Hope this helps and more inportant makes sense.

A alternate trick to get at the rear plugs
Learned this from another Monte Carlo message board.
My MC has the 3800 V6.
[align=center]Remove the two anti-torque brackets on front/top of engine. Swing them up and out of the way. Now, stand outside the drivers door (with the door open) with the tranny in Park. If you rock the car back and forth you will notice the engine really rolls forward and backward without those 2 brackets in place. The trick is to catch this movement with the engine rolled AS FAR FORWARD as possible. Now, as you're doing this, step on the parking brake at the instant the engine is rolled far forward. You should now be able to reach the 3 plugs at the rear of the engine! (At this point, for safety I would put a chock behind all 4 wheels.) When I first heard about and then tried this technique I couldn't believe how well it worked! [/align]

Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe I have small girly hands, but I changed all 6 of mine just fine without moving the engine or taking anything off the engine. I didn't disconnect any battery ( if the key is in the off postiion, there is no power going to anything anyway) or use any special spark plug thing. I tried a pair of pliers and a wire puller, butthe only thing htat is going to get that plug wire off is your hand. Now, you need to replace thewires when you replace theplugs if you're at 109k. Take the wire, wrap it around you hand, and tug a bit with your hand. then take your ahdn and just work it off that plug. This is the hardest part. Now, I'd recommend changing one of the front plugs first to get a feel for what you're doing. Then do your rear 3 plugs. I don't think I'd have been able to change mine if this was the first vehicle I'd ever done (I did a 95 Suburban about 3 times) You got to learn to work where you cannot see. I'd also recommend, for the back plugs, changing the one closest to the alternator first, it's the hardest to me.

To change the back 3, take your engine cover off (okay, maybe I did remove something) and climb on the intake manifold and be careful not to kick your front bumper. Lean over in there and change those plugs

As for the plugs, swing by NAPA and get some AC Delco Platinums, the stock plug. Also, ask them for a set of their plug wires, great stuff.

There are these little clips that hold the spark plug wires in place across the top of the engine for the rear 3 plugs. You need a flat head screw driver to pop thoseclips lose and take the wires out. I recommend changing one plug and 1 wire at a time as to not get confused as to what goes to where. I also climbed off the car nd started my engine for a few seconds to make sure it ran right (not too long, you don't want your work area to get too hot) after changing each plug. Then when you have those rear 3 done, go to the front. The reason I recommend doing this is because you're getting worn out. If you change the rear 3 first, you'll have the easy work saved for last. If you start teh car for a few seconds after each plugs, you'll know exactly which one of those plugs is the problem instead of hunting down a problem later.

I don't know where these guys come up with the rotate the engine forward and stuff, but like I said, maybe I have girl hands compared to you guys.

Space only knows what the internet tells him

Hope this helps you and best of luck. Once done, you'll be a proud member of the "Changed Rear Plugs on a Monte" club.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

As for NYG and Bosch, there good on imports, but our domestics don't like those plugs from my research. Some swear by Autolite's, some swear they are the devil. Any performacne gain you get will be minimal at best. No one has ever been done wrong by the AC Delco Platinums. Unless you've got a lot of mods, don't worry about anything but stock plugs. I did the research and this was my conclusion.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM

I am with cowboy there is no reason that you would need to rotate the engine forward. its just more work for no reason. the only thing that i ever took off other than my engine cover was the braket in the back of the engine that the back of the engine cover goes into it is just two bolts and to me gave me alot of extra room to get to the back plugs.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM

As well, when I tried to get my back ones removed from my '04 intimidator, I could not wrestle the wiresoff the plugs. A tip given to me by a mechanic was to try to rotate the rubber end of the wire as if you were unscrewing it from the plug. That apparently releases some 'vacuum' inside the boot. Once I did that, I had to really pullon the boot to pull it off but it sure came off easier that way.
I too released the engine from their front mounts. I chocked the wheels first. Then, I rotated it forward using a crow bar in the bracket at the front with the car in neutral. Then, I used an extension bar from my socket set to lock it in place and worked on the plugs. A few extensions and I had the back plugs out in no time.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Some swear by Autolite's, some swear they are the devil. Any performacne gain you get will be minimal at best. No one has ever been done wrong by the AC Delco Platinums.
The people who swear by the copper autolites are those running boost (3800 supercharged). They are far better than stock in that application if you are modded and don't mind a significantly shorter plug lifespan.

For most NA 3800s (all except the extremely modded ones), I agree that stock platinum delcos and stock or near stock replacement wires are the way to go.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 AM

I agree with those of you who recommend the Delco Platinium plugs. I work for CSK Auto(now Checker/O'Reilly), the ACDELCO platinum plugs are about the best plug you can put in a NA car, the biggest downfall of the platinum plugs is that under boost they can act as glow plugs, which as bumpin96 said is why forced inducton motors like copper plugs better. Also in regards to the Bosch +2 and +4 plugs go, all I will say is that as a commercial manager,one of mynational service shops that have shops in all 50 states call meto order any other plug(mainly autolite, and delco)I have in stock versus using the Bosch plugs on their shelf.