Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: New owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Question New owner

I just recently purchased a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. I am just trying to get advice on it because I really don't know that much about what is wrong with the car. It does run and it runs really good. It does not have any power steering which i am not sure if it the pump or a line. It does not have any ac and it needs a few cosmetic things, but for $350 I couldn't resist because if anything i could junk it and get more for it. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice about power steering and ac. I hate to take it to a shop cause they are ridiculous on prices and I am one of those diy people that like to work on my own car,

Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 PM

To start with the power steering, I'd check the pump first. Make sure there's fluid in it; if not, I'd add some and follow the lines to see if there are any noticeable leaks and then go from there. Fortunately, the pumps themselves aren't too expensive and are easy to replace. For the AC, does it just blow warm air when you turn it on? If no air comes out it could be something like a blower motor. If air does come out, can you hear the compressor kick on when you turn the AC on? If you don't hear it, could be a bad compressor relay or the compressor itself. If the compressor is bad, unfortunately they're not the cheapest thing to replace. If you do hear the compressor kick on, it's more likely you just need a recharge on your AC system (which is also inexpensive and easy to do).

Old 07-27-2019, 03:25 PM

The power steering reservoir is on the passenger side by the firewall under the alternator, not easy to get to with big hands. I usually take off the strut tower brace to have clearance to check the level. You haven't described the hygiene condition underneath- are there leaks? Is the firewall pad oily? Is the high pressure hose oily?

I'm assuming you have checked all of the fuses. If the ac compressor doesn't come on, it could be low on refrigerant - it has a low pressure switch for safety. Take the cap off by the air filter box and press in the valve and hear if there is any pressure (with the engine off). Does the light on the AC button on your control panel come on when you push it? Does the compressor try to come on when you turn to defrost mode? The charging port is in the middle of the firewall; a recharge kit is usually less than $25 with a gauge if you haven't tried a recharge before. If the gauge shows no pressure, that's probably at least one problem. It may need to have the Schrader valves (like tire valve stems) in the ports replaced if no pressure and you recharge and it leaks down. An ac valve core & cap kit is usually about $20-25. I think I did just the valve stems for about $10 6-7 years ago. But that requires a vacuum pump down and full charge afterward.