Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question A/C trouble

I recharged my ac in my 05. I let it charge till the can was empty and I removed the can then the air started to get warm and and the ac clutch started clicking. Anybody know what went wrong and how do I fix it?

Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its sounds to me like you have an obvious system leak!
My recommendation would be to take it to a reputable shop in your area and have them check your system.... The clicking of the compressor is due to the loss of freon in the system...Over time the seals tend to break down... Without more info its really hard to try to make a diagnosis...
When was the last time the AC worked? Is this a vehicle you recently bought? It could be a bad condensor,a worn out compressor, Or a hole in 1 of the lines.... Etc...
Obviously the freon leaked out almost as fast as you could put it in.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-28-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM

monte carlos and their AC leaks...i'll never understand how NONE of the model years were recalled especially mine

Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM

The clicking is the compressor clutch cycling to protect the compressor due to a low refrigerant charge, indicating a leak. Thats the bad thing about those diy kits is they can screw you over majorly, anywhere you go they'll vacuum down the system, recharge it and put a dye in providing its just a leak. Was the a/c working prior to you recharging? If it wasn't working then its probably still low, since you said you put it in the air got warm and its short cycling. With something like that its best to let the pros do it, instead of overcharging and killing a compressor.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ndaguanno
The clicking is the compressor clutch cycling to protect the compressor due to a low refrigerant charge, indicating a leak. Thats the bad thing about those diy kits is they can screw you over majorly, anywhere you go they'll vacuum down the system, recharge it and put a dye in providing its just a leak. Was the a/c working prior to you recharging? If it wasn't working then its probably still low, since you said you put it in the air got warm and its short cycling. With something like that its best to let the pros do it, instead of overcharging and killing a compressor.
I mad at the fact is was working well it was blowing cool air and I wanted cold so I got a tall can and put the whole can in and it's been down hill from there. How the heck did a leak pop up

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Its sounds to me like you have an obvious system leak!
My recommendation would be to take it to a reputable shop in your area and have them check your system.... The clicking of the compressor is due to the loss of freon in the system...Over time the seals tend to break down... Without more info its really hard to try to make a diagnosis...
When was the last time the AC worked? Is this a vehicle you recently bought? It could be a bad condensor,a worn out compressor, Or a hole in 1 of the lines.... Etc...
Obviously the freon leaked out almost as fast as you could put it in.
Those would be the plains for this weekend thank you for your imput

Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by crusher38
monte carlos and their AC leaks...i'll never understand how NONE of the model years were recalled especially mine
I just hope they don't want an arm or leg for repair