Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): AC Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default AC Condenser

Just wondering if anyone has replaced and how difficult it is? Mine is leaking ando I want my AC back!

Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Keith

Not that difficult but does require special tools and equipment. I did mine with some help from my HVAC buddies that use the tools everyday.
To do it right, when replacing the compressor you also need to recover the refrigerant (illegal to discharge to the air) which requires a vacuum pump and recovery tank. That refrigerant then gets recycled. You also need to replace the accumilator (receiver/drier) which is the decant tank that absorbs moisture and keeps it out of the rest of the sytem. Also replace the expansion valve which is a bit of a challenge because the brake booster needs to be removed to get to it. Any o-rings in fittings that you take apart need to be replaced. All these can be purchased in a kit like this: New AC Compressor Drier Kit 1997 2000 Chevy Venture 3 4 include Car Year | eBay

Then the lines need to be chemically flushed and dried. After the parts get replaced the compressor needs to refilled with PAG oil and the R-134A refrigerant needs to weighed to the proper amount before adding under negative pressure with a vacuum pump and the charge pressure read with a Hi-Low A/C manifold gauge set up.

In short, it's not really a job for the do-it-yourselfer unless you know the right guys with the right equipment. As a plumber I know a little about A/C and the company I work for has HVAC mechanics that work with A/C systems everyday that carry the tools on their work vans. If you don't know anybody like that I think you'd be better off leaving it up to a shop.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've replaced the condenser (which my car had no freon in it to recover) and I had a professional recharge it when I was done.

if you are doing the condenser, It's pretty easy, just take your time. Also, replace all o-rings and seals. I had a large AC o-ring/seal variety pack to use when I did mine.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Sorry Keith, I misread your post. I thought you said compressor when you said condensor.

Done that too. Hardest part is getting the radiator out, which isn't bad.