Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Here with a Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Default New Here with a Question

Hello everyone I'm new to the site. I have an 02 Monte Carlo that is having some fuel issues. Came on here for some help. I guess I should explain what is going on...
My car between 1.5 and 3 rpms it jerks hard and if I slow down or take a turn it cuts off. Then it is hard to turn back on. The check engine light came on and it always says there is a Bank One Lean something... can't remember the exact code right now. Well, I changed both O2 sensors, throttle sensor, mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, oil change, and it is still not working properly. The shop said now my catalytic converter is not working so they took it off and put in a pipe. The car worked while they test drove it (I went with them) and it worked getting me home. Problem fixed!! WRONG... continues to do the same thing. Now the check engine light stays on the whole time. I wonder can this vehicle work without a converter? All the research I've done online does not get me any closer to a correct answer. I am hoping all the Monte lovers here can help me out. I love my car and I just don't understand why she won't work.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!

I moved your post out of another person's welcome thread and created your own thread here.

Seems like you fixed all of the common problems. You can NOT run without a Cat without a check engine light. You will have that light on because the rear o2 sensor isn't getting the right readings. It won't effect anything, but it will have that light on.

What o2 sensors did you replace with? If you used Bosch they could still be bad. Our cars don't like Bosch.

Also, have you checked your wiring? Could have a split somewhere?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM

your cat probably took a crap because of the car running funny also the year of your car is known for cat failure.
Have you tested your fuel pressure yet? that's a good starting point from what you've done so far.
How many miles on your car? Which engine?