Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

never seen this happen before

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by augi
UPDATE: now, the security light is on and stays on while the car is running. It starts fine now (almost as if before it was just a hiccup) im going to try my spare key when the girlfriend and I go out.
Also, is it okay to use electronic parts cleaner in the lock cylinder? I have read that it might get dirt in it and cause the same problem and if I clean it, that could possibly fix my problem.

Either way, im looking at bypassing my passkey if anyone knows a way. I have seen other forums where people talk of how to do it with resistors or a bypass module, but I trust my mcf family more than anyone else when it comes to my monte.
Electrical contacts cleaner in the lock cylinder is fine. I clean mine periodically with it.

My Passlock has been on the fritz for the past 2 years. All my research comes to the same conclusion as others have already stated: install a bypass, either store-bought or homemade. I plan to buy one myself, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
I did a write up awhile ago. It was easy and didn't cost me anything... Best thing I ever did, no more passlock issues.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17611
I have read your how to before, but. What if the theft deterrant module messes up? Then you still have to replace it. Also, I have a passkey, not lock. Does that mean I don't have to remove my ignition switch?

Sorry, I just want to cover all grounds before going into this... there will be no turning back once I do. I usually build my own kits and am looking at professional ones just because I don't want my car messing up at all.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

that is why I had my car stereo shop do it that way if it was messed up or I had any problems it was under warranty

Old 12-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Alright, I went to best buy. They told me that since I have the resistor in my key, they'd cut the wire going into the switch and put a resistor in there... that's the only option they gave me, so it looks like im doing the" like a big dog" mod. Unless I find that nocturx's meathod works better.
guy at chevy told me that I most likely wouldn't have a problem, but he can't guarantee anything.

Also, the guy at the radio shop told me he can't warrenty or gurantee anything with the resistor mod either.

I just don't want to go into all this trouble to save a few bucks and not rid myself completely of this passkey headache.

And from what the chevy dealer wants to charge, I would rather get rid of the system for that cost.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Alright, I went to best buy. They told me that since I have the resistor in my key, they'd cut the wire going into the switch and put a resistor in there... that's the only option they gave me, so it looks like im doing the" like a big dog" mod. Unless I find that nocturx's meathod works better.
guy at chevy told me that I most likely wouldn't have a problem, but he can't guarantee anything.

Also, the guy at the radio shop told me he can't warrenty or gurantee anything with the resistor mod either.

I just don't want to go into all this trouble to save a few bucks and not rid myself completely of this passkey headache.

And from what the chevy dealer wants to charge, I would rather get rid of the system for that cost.
It's the same method, except mine is specifically written for the Passlock security and Monte Carlo's. The BigDog write-up is for VATS and a range of vehicles. Basically the same idea. I did mine a year and a half - 2 years ago and haven't had a problem since. If you don't have a multimeter and soldering iron or just don't want to do it yourself, you should be able to take it to a place that installs remote starters and a remote starter module will do the same thing and probably be warrantied. You will pay much more though obviously.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-03-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM

I have read your how to before, but. What if the theft deterrant module messes up? Then you still have to replace it. Also, I have a passkey, not lock. Does that mean I don't have to remove my ignition switch?
You are bypassing it by cutting the wire and soldering in the resistor. It can mess up all it wants... It is likely already messed up I'm not sure what you mean by "passkey and not lock"? You don't need to remove the ignition switch, just pull it to the side and down so that you can access the wires behind it. The 1999 Monte Carlo's may be different and you maybe able to access the wires by pulling out the stereo, I'm not sure. It's worth checking first since it is much easier to pull out the head unit than it is to get to it the way I had to on my '04.

Sorry, I just want to cover all grounds before going into this... there will be no turning back once I do. I usually build my own kits and am looking at professional ones just because I don't want my car messing up at all.
You could turn back if needed. It doesn't have to be permanent. Just cut out the resistor and reconnect the wire. Not sure why you would want to reactive the passlock though.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-03-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Not reactivate, just not screw up more. Passkey is the resistor in the key that contacts something inside the ignition switch. My ignition is in the steering column, not the dashboard.
I know you can pull the driver kick panel and access the wiring.

I don't think anything is needing to be done right now... I just have the annoying light on in the dash. I would try the resistor mod, but the car runs. I just want to be sure passlock/key/vats is permenantly gone. Is the resistor for sure going to do that?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Yes because it bypasses it. It checks the resistance against the resistor you solder in instead of against the key/ignition switch.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Yes because it bypasses it. It checks the resistance against the resistor you solder in instead of against the key/ignition switch.
This.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Why there was never a recall for the passlock system is beyond me. Well I know why, because gm put it in every vehicle they made and it would have killed them to do a recall but if you google "carcomplaints passlock" you'll see pages and pages of complaints from people about the passlock system. GM should be ashamed.

I only have a bachelors in electronic engineering and am no where near the geniuses GM hires to design their electrical systems but even I know resistances can fluctuate in a circuit, the tin pins oxidize, temperature and humidity can affect resistance for example. Resistance based security systems are not uncommon, they just didn't allow enough of a variance in resistance in their programming I would guess.