Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

never seen this happen before

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default never seen this happen before

Alright, it has rained all day here, I got in my car after wprk and turned the key to on, let the fuel pump prime (as I always do) then turn the key. Nothing.
Try again, it fired right up. Got to my friend's hous, went to start the car, I had to turn the key to on three times before it would start. Was at the mechanics house, Once more, had to turn the key twice to start it.

None of these times would you hear the starter even kick out like its going to start the car and every time it actually did start the car, it would be an extended crank.

On the drive home, the security light came on, then after driving another 4 miles, it just went off. After that happened, it hasn't even hiccuped.

Does anyone know what this is? I figured it was the starter because I remember getting it wet once before and it did this I hit it with a hammer that time.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Its probably the chip in your key giving you the problems. Try using your spare key and see if it stops doing it.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM

Hi `Augi,
Dustin, dirty keys or dirt on the chip can cause problems with starting....Also key chains with heavy items on it can wear the cylinder & cause problems. (They swing & bounce & put pressure on the lock cylinder...)

Below is what I do with dirty keys with a chip:
Cleaning car keys with electronic chips

Dampen a cleaning cloth with warm water and remove any excess dirt from the surface of the key. The important thing is to prevent the section of the key that contains any electronic chip to get completely wet. Cleaning it with a dampen cloth will not affect it.
Following similar steps to cleaning a metal key, dampen a tooth brush with lemon juice or toothpaste and brush off any impurities from the key's metal surface.

Finally, apply ketchup or toothpaste on the metal part of the key. Cover the entire surface with either substance, and leave it on overnight. Remove the ketchup or toothpaste next morning with a cleaning cloth and your key will be clean and ready to be used again.

I don't know `if this is the problem, but it's always good 2 be Clean, and even your keys
*Hi Mod `Matt, wish you & readers a `Happy : )

Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM

UPDATE: now, the security light is on and stays on while the car is running. It starts fine now (almost as if before it was just a hiccup) im going to try my spare key when the girlfriend and I go out.
Also, is it okay to use electronic parts cleaner in the lock cylinder? I have read that it might get dirt in it and cause the same problem and if I clean it, that could possibly fix my problem.

Either way, im looking at bypassing my passkey if anyone knows a way. I have seen other forums where people talk of how to do it with resistors or a bypass module, but I trust my mcf family more than anyone else when it comes to my monte.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had my car stereo shop do my bypass it took like 1/2 an hr to get it done it is so much better with out it it cost me like 45 ish all in and it was worth it to never have that problem ever again

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

there is a write up on here how to do it with a resistor, imho passlock sucks, realisticially from what i hear that "chip " is just a resistor in your key

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is how you bypass it

http://vats.likeabigdog.com

Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 PM

So, in the owners manual, it says the system isn't functioning when the car is running and the light is on which means the car isn't protected by pass key for the moment... does this mean I don't have any worries or does it mean I should def bypass?

Also, wouldnt a bypass module be a better bet than a resistor?
I have been researching this all day and from what I can tell, my passlock is in some kind of passive mode right now. It sees the key is the right key, just something about the system is screwed up. I still want to just rid myself of everything passlock in the car. If I start to not feel safe enough, ill just install a viper or a trunk monkey. Im tired of being scared of being stranded due to "good intentions".
don't get me wrong... still would rather own a gm than anything else, ii just hate passlock/key/vats/ anything else security invented by them.

Last edited by augi; 12-02-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

On mine we used a bypass module it has you put a resistor in it or at least mine did on my 2001 MC

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM

I did a write up awhile ago. It was easy and didn't cost me anything... Best thing I ever did, no more passlock issues.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17611

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: never seen this happen before